Regular tanks vs. Rimless tanks

BL1

I was wondering, what is the difference in the construction between rimless tanks and rimmed (?) tanks? I know the ones that have the plastic trim, it's to support the joints, if I've understood that correctly. If that's the case how are rimless tanks made that they do not need that support.
Thanks
Brian

Thicker glass.
Silicone is stronger than one may think.
I believe the plastic trim and bracing is to help prevent bowing of the glass which will cause a blow-out. Thicker glass makes up for the support of plastic trim. Plastic trim is cheaper than thicker glass.

At least that's what I keep telling myself so i can sleep at night and not have nightmares of 130g of water and livestock all over my floor. :shock:

The plastic trim doesn't support the glass its all in the silicone and the braces in the tank.

As d2 mentioned thicker glass is used in rimless to prevent bowing.

I've been researching tank builders lately.They say rimless(especially the larger sizes) needs to be set on a foam mat to prevent stress fractures.Is this true,D2?

It would be pointless to put a foam mat under a tank that is supported by a frame.The bottom of my tank(glass) doesn't even touch the stand.

It really is just for trimless/rimless/frameless tanks.

If you are talking about me, it was custom made by a local builder (Sapphire Aquatics) who is no longer in biz.

i noticed the foam pad at the petstore, they had a rimless display. sheesh so when i get my stand i would have to get it deep enough for the pad and the tank to set just about 1/2 lower like yours d2

Ya, i tried and it still wasn't deep enough. You can still see most of the bottom pane of glass. I probably could have used thinner foam.

What kind of foam did u use? Looked almost like paper to me no thickness at all. I'd be scared if I were you. The petstore had a 3/4" foam pad might have been 1"

Insulation foam from home depot. Probably 3/4" thick. Look at square hole, you can see the thickness.

734916305_V6CQw-L.jpg

I don't really understand the foam pad concept. What purpose does it really serve? None of my aquariums set on it even my Zero Edge and it is rimless.

Back