Reintoduce myself

down and outman

Reefing newb
When I started in this hobby I signed up for anything and everything I could get ahold of, and in the process I forgot all I signed up for. Two years later I get an email from you folks and thought I'd follow up. Nice forum.

To get up to speed I started with a 55er and got frustrated with it's limits, not drilled to incorporate a sump, etc. Battled high nitrates, algae, etc. in it. Was getting ready to overhaul it, built an oversized stand (big enough for a 90, LOL), new lights, and attempted to drill it. Boom! Tempered glass! #&%@$!!! Had enough in the credit union for a Glass Cages 90 gal. RR, which I was driving there in a couple of days anyway to haul some stuff for my son who's in the army. Got the new tank setup, everything survived a week in tubs, and have grown from there.
I made about 100# of agrocrete rocks to go with the 50# of LR. Added 90# of Caribsea sugar sand. Setup the sump with a Mag7 pump, Phosban reactor, still got my CSS65 that I've vowed to replace, but my Nitrates and all are doing well. Algae problems are behing me and all is well.

My :sfish: include: Yellow Tang (the General), True Percula Clown (Squirt), Cherub Angel (Angel), Citron Goby (Goby Won), and Lawnmower Blenny. Other critters include: Pincushion Urchin (Coraline algae eater, grrr!) Brittlestar, Huge Coral Banded Shrimp, Turbo Snail, an wild assortment of hermit crabs, Emerald Crab somewhere in there, and various trochus and Astrae snails. Plus Cheato which I tie to one of the return lines near the surface. It loves the T-5 lights. Growing like crazy, will have to harvest some and sell it again.
Corals so far are some Button Polyps and a few Mushrooms.

I live a good distance away from any LFS, so I don't add stuff very often. I mostly buy stuff online.

I just recently joined the Atlanta Reef Club and hope to take advantage of the meetings and frag swaps. I hope I can contribute some to this forum, though my time is limited as I'm studying for CompTia A+ Certification to change careers. :Cheers:

Last edited:
Indeed, a STAR WARS fan he is...

Welcome back, is this going to be a reef tank or a FOWLR.
either way PIC'S are a must, your account is in jeopardy with out them LOL J/K

Welcome to the reef.

Welcome to Living Reefs!! I just got two new maroon and gold clownfish yesterday, and an anemone today, which calmed down the snippy and rather larger Medea-like mama fish. The poor boyfriend just trembles in his scales at her, but I really think they're bonding because they are showing all the signs of a couple to be! The anemone is great because it turns the female into a baby--it's like a baby blanket. She lies down on her side and snuggles with the anemone!!

Anyway, that's what I have. I am just starting out, and have not been able to find my camera since Christmas. I'll post pictures whenever I find it I'll post some.

I love this website. Everyone is nice and helpful.

Visit again!

Back