Removing Bulkheads-Tips?

RyanG

Reef enthusiast
Anyone have any tips on removing old bulkheads? They are glued slip joints it appears. Should I just try and cut them or try to break the glue?

i really dont know what to tell you. if it is pvc glue you will not be able to break it free you will prob break the tank trying.

Are you sure there slip joints?All the bulkheads I've seen are screwed on with a rubber gasket.
If you have to cut em.Use a hacksaw or something manual.I wouldnt rry it with a sawzall.

You will have to either replace the bulkheads or try to connect something to the ends of them. You will never get the glued pipe out of the bulkhead. I would just unscrew and replace them.

Yote they are the screw type but the ones Im having a problem with are the sump return lines they are the threaded type but they have slip joint 90s that make totally unscrewing them imposible. Im gonna hacksaw them off in the morning. What do you guys think about a dremel and a cut off wheel?

Just use a hack saw blade removed from hack saw. It should not scratch the glass. If you really are worried about the glass put some masking tape on the glass around the bulkhead.

Back