Removing Hair Algae from individual rocks

clancaster23

Reefing newb
I got green hair algae on a couple of rocks and every time I pull it off, it grows back after some time. Would a peroxide dip solve the problem? I know most will say to find the root of the algae growing but I believe it was my old lights. I have new lights now and this is algae that just keeps growing cause it was already in there and it doesn't want to die off. I was thinking a peroxide dip would help kill it off after I pulled most of it off? Also, one of the rocks has a zoa that is spreading nicely but gets a clump of it to grow right in the middle of it so I want to be sure to kill the algae but not the zoas.

Just put it in your old change out water, and scrub it off w/ a toothbrush. I had a huge clump in my tank a while back...clipped it, then scrubbed it off, it never grew back.

But it shouldn't keep growing back if your water parameters are good. You're sure your don't have any nitrates and/or phosphates? Something is still feeding it.

Every time I test I got zeroes on those. I think I'll test again tomorrow and see what it says. I have done the scrubbing but like you said, keeps coming back.

Back