Removing tank rims?

chaosfinity

Got Kalk?
Does anyone think it would be possible to remove the rims from a tank to make it rimless? Its not any larger than rimless tanks i can find online.

Its built in as part of the support on the tank. Rimless tanks are built with other support holding the sides on...

All the rimless tanks i have looked at just have a thicker bead of silicone on the bottom half, its not a tall tank either 16". I dont have a top center support.

I didnt relize yours was a 20. 20's dont need the center suppert, there not long enough. I believe in the bigger rimless tanks they use tempered glass and do some other things (not really sure what) to support them. BTW I took the rim off a 20 long to resilicone it. Its not really pretty when you take them off.

I think you should take it off. The best way to do it is with a bfh, a big f---ing hammer. Let us know how it work. but don't most rimless tanks have that top glass support where it raps around the top a few inches.

i think that most rimless tanks are euro braced around the inside perimeter of the top of the tank. i think you are asking for trouble if you do this. is there a reason behind the madness ??

Glass braces were used on glass tanks for years and still are by custom tank fabricators. The braces set inside the tank flush with the top of the front and rear glass are just as strong as those on top of the front and back glass. It is a little more difficult to install the flush brace as it need to be supported until the silicone has cured. That takes care of bowing but unless you actually sand your glass top edges you will have occasional cuts on your arms and hands to deal with. The glass brace will lessen the light intensity of a light directly over the, but nothing like the blockage of opaque black plastic. The alternative is a band of glass set at a ninety degree angle to your front and back glass set flush with the front and back glass or on top of them. Unless your tank is very wide bowing of the side glass will not be present.

I have seen quit a few tank were the brace broke so they took it off and everything was fine. The biggest was a 125 with the brace off and they were still using it, however, I think there could be a risk on tank that size and wouldn't try it myself.

It all depends on the thickness of the glass and whether you want to take such a chance when the fix is so simple. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to put in a glass cross brace. You do not even need to remove a broken brace IE plastic brace to put in a glass brace. Just place it directly below the broken brace. The same hassles is there as in a installation without the brace and that is you have to hold it in place until the caulking is cured. Be,Believe it or not glass is officially still a liquid and is still flowing under rules of gravity. Very, very slowly but still flowing. Old window panes are always measurably thicker at the bottom of the pane. Glass bends. Just a little, then it breaks catastrophically, and lots of money time and dreams are wasted.

Back