Removing Unwanted zoanthids

chaosfinity

Got Kalk?
In my tank i have some large grey zoanthids that I believe there was one 1 of back in april on a rock full of beatuiful oranges and greens. They nice ones did spread but the grey ones took over the surrounding area and stopped the growth of the others.

Is there a way to remove these zoanthids without harming the others or do i need to frag the rock and hope not to see them again?

Just take a good sharp hobby knife and gently cut the unwanted zoas off the rock and glue them to smaller frag sized rocks.Then trade them.
Just make sure to wear protective gloves and eye protection.You DO NOT want and zoa juice getting into a cut,your mouth,or your eyes and nose.Palytoxin is a serious threat to your health and isnt something to play around with.

I agree with Yote, but add more. Where you cut off the zoas, smother it with some superglue. This will ensure that if there was a piece left on the rock, it can't grow back.

Thanks for the reminder on the palytoxin. There isn't much of a trade basis around here and they are pretty ugly anyway. Seems like a species that would fight heavily with stony corals. Also thanks for the tip with the superglue i was pretty sure they would regrow like mushrooms would (since i think they are mushrooms?).

So checklist,
Face shield, gloves, no animals and wash lots of the surrounding area when finished.

Hopefully they will come off and i wont see them again lol.

Back