Removing Zoanthids.

Sammydog

Reefing newb
The Zoanthids in my tank have started to take over a part of my tank that I really didn't want them to.

Is there a safe way to remove them from the tank. It's on one of my bigger bits of live rock which makes some of them potentially hard to reach.

I've read about the palytoxin issue which is why I have asked if there is a safe way to remove them and I really don't want them taking over the tank.

OK wear gloves! Even though i dont because i find it really hard to get a good grip and properly feel stuff, when the zoas close (just wave somewater at them) you will see a mat, cut the mat, then just rip and peel it off, dont cut the head itself, not good idea.
As soon as your done, try not touch anything and go wash your hands real good and few times. Please dont touch your eyes nose mouth or anything.
Plus most zoas really dont have a lot of palytoxin, but they still have it. Good luck! :D

I got sick for 5 hrs. b/c I didn't know that they were toxic. It was my 1st "rookie mistake" when I got in this hobby I remeber felling dizzy & wanting to throw up. Make sure U wear some snug fit white rubber gloves!!!

Would it be better to not only wear gloves and glasses, but also do this with the rock submerged?

I'm thinking of doing it at the next water change.

Some guy in the DC area used boiling hot water to burn them off the rock. He inhaled the steam and ended up in the hospital on a lung machine for a week. He also has chronic bronchitis for life.

Back