Replace Bio-Balls with Rock

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
Ok so I have never used bio-balls and do not want to but on the Aqueon Mega Flo sumps they have a compartment for bio-balls.

Many people say they are nitrate factories eventually but if you placed live rock in there what would be the difference.

I like to run my sump socks and do not see a way to use the with that kind of sump. I use a Proflex Sump now that has a place for the sock but this style does not.

If I were to leave it empty it would just be a useless chamber probably making a ton of noise with nothing to slow the water down.

Is there a way to set it up for socks like maybe fitting it with my own plexi glass piece with holes cut into it for the socks.

Use Live Rock Rubble. Try to get it the same size as the bio balls, you won't have to worry about the difference in it falling out.

I've used a lot of live rubble in the sump, the fuge and in the main display. Its good cause it has more surface area and pods can live and grow in it but the bad is that lots of small pieces in a pile will turn into a nasty detritus trap. If you use live rubble, put it on a grate in the fuge with the water flowing downward over the rock to prevent a detritus trap.

I setup a HOB filter with Live rock rubble and chaeto, although i think it is going to overflow soon! Haha :?

Back