Replacing bulbs

Rainer

Reefing newb
I have the 48" nova extreme t5 HO fixture and am looking to replace bulbs again. Its right to replace about every 6 months right?

Also instead of going with the same 2 super actinics and 2 10k bulbs should i be looking into other bulbs instead? The guy at one of my LFS's mentioned getting 50/50's but would i get all 50/50s or just 2 and keep the other two actinics?

Sorry dont know much about lighting needs. I mostly just have a few soft corals such as mushrooms and polyps and of course lots of live rock and a few fish and inverts.

thanks in advance.

I change my bulbs 10 months. From what i understand, you shouldnt have to change t5 bulbs every 6 months. I know some people that only change them once a year. I say 10 months on the bulbs. Someone on here will know for sure.I would definetly keep the blue acin. I also run a similar setup as yours with 12k bulbs. My mushrooms and polyps do great under my lighting condition. (All in my personal opinion)

Last edited:
thanks to both of you. Any thoughts on whether to keep with the 2 super actinics and 2 10ks or use something else?
Are they working for you? If your soft corals seem to like them then IMO... I would keep them. My light config is almost the same as yours and my corals do great, and I dont want the electric bill that goes along with metal halides.

Last edited:
If you switch to half of the bulbs being 50/50s and the other half being actinics, I think that'd be too blue. If it were me, I'd stay with half the bulbs 10K and the other half actinics. But it also depends on if you like the way your tank looks now. If you do, then why change?

Guess I'm gonna have to agree with Dustin.If you like the colors your getting from your bulbs and your corals are growing,then why change.

When the time comes to replace the stock bulbs,check out Reefgeek.com for ATI and UV bulbs.Those put out 30-40% more PAR then the stock slimpaq bulbs in the Nova's.

2 ATI blue plus,1 UV Aquasun and 1 ATI Aquablue Special 12k will look better and give you more light.

Back