Replacing my Lost Fish...What Should I Get?

Jenna09

Reefing newb
Hi Everyone

I have lost all of my fish in my tank but 1 tank raised percula clown.

I have:
- a 110 gallon tall tank.
- between 250-300lbs of live rock.
- 3/4" of sand.
- open top of tank (no glass)
- lots of water flow/current

I will be getting:
- 1 tank raised percula clown
- 1 midas blenny (or bicolour if they cant get me a midas)
- 1 goby (havent decided what kind yet open to suggestions)

I am open to getting any coral/invert safe fish.

Any suggestions on what I should get?

I have not bought a fish in over 3 years.

Jenna

PS. Because of what happened in my tank I will not be purchasing any fish until next week. All of my levels are testing out perfect in my tank but I dont want to loose anything else.

Last edited:
Nice to hear you have not given up Jenna. In regards to your Goby purchase...........I really like the pink spotted Goby. Like Yote said Anthias are really cool and bring alot of color to the tank, you'll need at least three as they are schooling fish. They are however somewhat delicate. Yellow eyed Kole Tangs are awesome, and the clown Tangs are really cool looking too. And maybe even an orange finned Tang. Good luck and post up some pics when you get what you want. :Cheers:

Sorry

I am still not 100% sure what killed everything so quickly but my salinity was high (my hygromoter was malfunctioning) at 1.029. I lowered it to 1.026 over the course of 5 hours and 12-14 hours later my fish were dead.

I had tested my water before I reduced the salinity at my LFS and everything was perfect minus the high salinity.

Within 1 hour of loosing my fish I had my water tested again and the nitrites and ammonia were getting a small reading of being present. Within 2 hours they were gone. I assumed the reading was from dead fish (2 of which were never found).

I didnt realize that reducing the salinity would kill my fish, I thought it would shock them a bit but not to the point it would kill them. I figured since I did it over 5 hours they would be fine but apparently it was not good enough. I took the clownfish that survived out of the tank and put him in a bag for about 12 hours and it helped him. I dripped him for another 2 hours before putting him back in the tank. He looked rough for the next 24 hours but is now perfectly fine.

My 1 clownfish was over 8 years old (first salt water fish I ever had) and all of my other fish I have had over 4 years.

All of my coral survived.

Jenna

Last edited:
What about Powder Blue Tangs?

I have always loved them. My LFS has a smaller one right now but it is quite thin. They said it is eating but it is in a tank with many other larger fish that hog the food.

From what I have read they are more difficult to keep.

Opinions?

Jenna

They tend to be ick magnets. I think they are very beautiful fish. If you get one be sure to quarantine it first. Do you have a UV light on your system?

I dont believe I have a UV light...so I am guessing no lol.

I have 10,000 watt (white lights) which I dont know what they are I just go in every year and buy the same things. I also have atinic lights. And some moon lights which I dont think do anything but light up my room at night lol!!!

Why would I need a UV light? I have room for one.

Jenna

I would steer away from the Powder Blue, while very nice looking fish they are among the more difficult Tangs to keep, they are fairly delicate. A Naso, or Blonde Naso would be another good one. Purple Tang is in the same category as the Powder Blue.

No I dont clean the glass with windex. I just wipe it with a rag that I have lol.

I really racked my brain around how my fish could have died. I mean the salinity drop was in my opinion not significant enough to kill off clownfish! I used to work at my LFS around 8 years ago and someone bought 2 clownfish and went home and put them into a freshwater tank...not realizing that they were a saltwater fish. They lived in the freshwater for over 24 hours and were brought back because the guy looked them up and realized what he had done! The clowns survived and I still hear people talk about it today at the store.

All of my cleaning equipment is stored in my room and no one would have touched any of it and no chemicals were used or stored around it.

The only things new were my light bulbs, prime water conditioner (sealed before I opened it) and I put in a new powerhead.

According to my LFS the way my fish died, mouthes open and gills flexed out, was usually a sign of ammonia poisoning or lack of oxygen.

Jenna

Last edited:
Well let me see. As far as a goby I would get a pink spotted Goby

100_1945.jpg

A yellow tang maybe

yellowtang.jpg

A yellow eyed Kole tang
100_1328.JPG

Just a few suggestions.

I have had a pink spotted goby in the past and that is the one I will probably be going with this time as well.

They are beautiful!

Jenna

Just to update everyone, I have yet to get a fish but I have requested that my LFS orders me a midas blenny and a diamond goby or a pink spotted goby.

Other than that I will wait until I find a cute little percula to go with my remaining one.

I am also thinking of getting a sailfin tang.

Thanks again everyone!
Jenna

Sorry to hear you lost your fish, but I am glad you are not giving up. If you are looking for a nice peaceful beautiful reef-safe fish that will strike awe into anyone who sees your tank, may I recommend a...yes you guessed it…a navarchus angelfish. (majestic angelfish). I got a beautiful juvenile from bluezooaquatics.com. Mine is changing into its adult colorings now. It is a beautiful fish both as a juvenile and as an adult. It is very peaceful, and has been a delight.
pomacanthus_navarchus_s.jpg

pomacanthus_navarchuJuv_s.jpg

Back