Reptile calcium powder in tank?

benga

Reefing newb
What would happen if i put Reptile calium powder in the aquarium?
It dissolved almost instantly so i'm wondering if it would be good in any way
and what would be bad about it?

Bad, who knows what else has been added to it? What other things that a reptile needs, but corals don't.

Bad, could really screw with pH, alk, and cal. Since you don't know what else is in it.

Good, can't think of anything that would be any better than a calcium supplement designed for reef tanks

IMO, I wouldn't risk it. You have spent good money on quality corals, why chance killing them to save a few bucks?

Check what's in it. Many of the reptile calcium supplements have copper in them. Obviously copper is not a good thing to put in a reef tank.

Example.....
Exo Terra Calcium Powder Supplement for Reptiles
Ingredients:
Calcium Carbonate, Oyster Shell Flour, Salt, Calcium Sulfate, Potassium Chloride, Ferrous Fumarate, Magnesium Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Manganous Oxide and Copper Sulfate

It is also possible that the calcium in these products is in a different chemical state and will not properly induce calcification in corals.

From my understanding, the reptile calcium products are usually bone meal and precipitated calcium carbonate products intended to be digested by reptiles and the proper ionic forms are achieved only after they are metabolized.
Corals utilize calcium in a different manner.

Back