reptile turned reef

emily120289

Reefing newb
Found a cheap tank on craigslist.. it was used to house some type of lizard before.. would it be possibly to clean it out and turn it into a reef tank?

Very true, a leak test and a good scrubbing with vinegar and water. Reptile tanks sometimes have a label on them "not for fish" I dont know for sure but I think it has something to do with the amount of silicone used.

Well its a standard 40g Breeder 36x18x16 I believe.. it was used for turtles.. and then a lizard.. It does hold water and is in good condition.. their asking $20.00 for the tank and overall it looks good. My main concern is, would it be contaminated due to the lizards waste etc? and also, Im just afraid If I do wash it out with bleach/soap ill have algae problems and also possible ammonia problems down the road. thanks

If you use bleach rinse it well then fill and use dechlor in it...or just let it dry outside for a day or two. Dont use soap

I have a 20 gal tall reptile tank that I am using and its doing fine but I am starting to see a little bit of mabye bubbles in the seams but i think its due to the fact that the tank is not totily leval

I have a 20 gal tall reptile tank that I am using and its doing fine but I am starting to see a little bit of mabye bubbles in the seams but i think its due to the fact that the tank is not totily leval

It's either going to burst from the stress of not being rated to hold that much pressure or from being unlevel. I'd switch it out ASAP

Back