Resealing a tank?

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
Anyone ever successfully done this before? How hard is it? As I'm getting closer to getting the hex wet I'm starting to get really nervous about its integrity. I leak tested it on my deck for a few hours and it held water, but this thing is old and the guy who had it before me found it in a second hand store for $10 and then just glopped silicone all over the outside of it on the top of bottom and a few of the sides. I was going to hide the silicone mess with a canopy and turn it so that the clean sides faced out, but maybe I should just reseal it instead....

I would try to reseal the tank before you put anything into it because trying to seal a leak in a tank that has stuff in it is kinda hard. I would take a razor blade and scrape off some of the sealent and then start new just to make sure. Also I would wait 48hrs before you leak test it again after you reseal, you want it to cure fully before water hits it. I would use a clear sealent as well so if you have to use alot it is easyer to hide.

Back