researching

Brian_G

overly obsessed
hello i just thought i would introduce myself.

im new to the hobby and am still researching before i get into it too much.

im sure you will hear from me again as i ask many questions

thank you in advance for all your help

Welcome to the site and the hobby.
Be sure to post any and all questions you come up with,were more than happy to help.

wow i have never been in a forum this friendly. im already loving it

im thinking a 55 gallon tank. but i also saw a nice 70 gallon corner style tank at one of my LFS. so i may go for that if i cant find a used tank for a nice price.

im thinking of a reef tank starting slow and going from there. live rock and sand to get the tank cured and adding fish from there. and then nice corals getting it to look nice.
i dont know too much i dont think but i have been reading the conversations on this site pretty much all day. they are very interesting.

im not very sure about filters and such and how they work and what is good. i understand the nitrate, nitrite and ammonia cycle so that helps alot but still need more information on sumps(how they work) or canister filters, protein filters(what they even are or what they do)

See if I can confuse you some :mrgreen:
A sump is basically just a tank that sits under the display.It adds volume and give you a place to put equipment that you really don't want to see on the display.
The protein skimmer completely removes dissolved waste from the water column.

Hi and welcome!

Although the corner tanks look nice, the lights for them are more expensive than if you got a rectangular tank. If you are on a budget, a rectangular tank will be cheaper and easier to set up.

Although I am not really in a budget. Money is always a factor. I think I may just go for a rectangular tank for starts and work toward the bigger.

A skimmer and live rock is all you need? You don't need a sump or anything?
Is that what you are saying? That almost sounds too easy

You wont need a sump on a 55 if you use a reef octopus hang on the back (HOB) skimmer like the 800S. Most people prefer the in sump skimmers though because they are out of sight, and you get more bang for the buck.

You do not have to have a sump. But some sumps just have water in them without any filtration except the skimmer. The sump helps with the having more water in the tank, like Yote said. All a reeftank really needs is good live rock and a good skimmer and you will be fine. The rest just helps but is not needed.

Plus, let add a little to some of the other stuff that was said: (1) everyone keeps mentioning that a sump adds water volume, but they haven't said why that's a good thing; quite simply, the more water volume in your system, the less likely any one problem is going to affect the tank/raise any of your levels to a harmful level abruptly. All our parameters are about dissolved content percentages (i.e. how much ammonia you have per water molecule, etc); so, while having a larger tank is more expensive and gives you a crap load more stuff to look after, keeping the water parameters in check is actually easier. (2) Not only should you stick to rectangular tank, but you should also try for one that is 48" long if you plan to upgrade later as you will most likely be able to keep your light, and if you see the prices of lights, you'll understand why you may want to try and re-use your light down the road. (3) Remember, there are two kinds of live rock, cured and not; for cycling your tank try to get at least that pound per gallon of non-cured, cool looking rock with crevices or odd shapes that you can make caves out of; then, when your tank cycles, get a decent chunk of cured live rock (say somewhere around 10 pounds) with a bunch of coraline and hitch-hikers that will then transfer to your other rock. Just make sure you leave room to add that extra rock. Then wait a few days to see if your tank starts to do a little mini-cycle. Once that's all good, go for the fish.

okay awesome

i found a rectangular 55g tank drilled and all with sump for $100 do i might do that. i think that would be a good starter tank. will it not? the thing about starting with uncured live rock is that the LPS all have cured live rock. they are all good looking and stuff but they wont have the bacteria on them that is required to start the cycling.
so i may have to use the drop fish food in method and start the cycle that way. which i wouldnt mind.
but with a sump. if i dont use 1-2 lbs of live rock per gallon(which i think i alot and will crowd my tank fast) what else would i need?

Great deal on the tank...as for the non-cured rock, the key thing why I suggest doing it that way, it's going to be a lot cheaper to go that route. Also, to start the cycle, I have seen plenty of people mention that you can actually go to your local grocery store and get a piece of shrimp from the fish section/butcher and toss that in your tank to start the cycle. As for crowding your tank, you'd be surprised how heavy a small chunk of base rock can be. If you're looking for a deal, you may also want to check out www.liveaquaria.com as they have bulk deals that can help you out.

The only other things you will need is a protein skimmer and a return pump for the sump beyond the obvious stuff of sand (unless your doing a bare bottom) water (both salt and fresh), a thermometer, water test kit, etc.

okay awesome

i found a rectangular 55g tank drilled and all with sump for $100 do i might do that. i think that would be a good starter tank. will it not? the thing about starting with uncured live rock is that the LPS all have cured live rock. they are all good looking and stuff but they wont have the bacteria on them that is required to start the cycling.
so i may have to use the drop fish food in method and start the cycle that way. which i wouldnt mind.
but with a sump. if i dont use 1-2 lbs of live rock per gallon(which i think i alot and will crowd my tank fast) what else would i need?

just get cured live rock, it has plenty of bacteria on it. Plus, uncured live rock may take 2 months or more to fully cure. You wont need to drop fish food to cycle if you have live rock. I would put as much live rock as you can, that and a good skimmer will be all you need. If you dont want to put as much live rock you could add a refugium, and that will help keep the nitrates down.

Dont forget that you will need lights too. :shock:

ohhhh, ya...and lights, haha. As for the 2 months cure time...mine took 4 weeks almost exactly, but I guess it depends on what you mean by "fully cure"

that wouldnt be too hard i suppose. whats a good protein skimmer and a bad one? and whats a good pump? and how much of a pump do i need? (flow cap. etc)?

and what is a refugium?

and as for the cured rock...
if using that then the ammonia will still spike and start the cycle like normal? taking the same amount of time for it to drop back to a suitable level?

Back