researching

So a sump and a protien skimmer is the way to go? And what if j don't have enough live rock? What else will I need?

So far on my equipment list I need.
Tank
sump tank
piping
return pump
protein skimmer
live rock
sand
lights
power heads

am I forgetting anything?

Thank you all so much.

I believe I'm going to get a 55 gal tank with a sump within a couple dAys so be prepared for many more questions :)

if you can afford it and have room i would get the 70 gallon, its only 15 gallons more, but its a big difference. A lot more width for the fish to swim, and you can do more sloping in the aquascaping.

Reef Octopus for the skimmer is probably the way to go.

so far it looks good. lr is spendy so if you cannot afford to get a bunch you can use base rock like this it will save a ton of money and when seeded with a good amount of live rock you will not be able to tell the difference and it will all be live in a couple months.

Actually I'm talking to the guy who has the 75g now and it's cheaper than the 50 and he has lights I can get for little more. The tank is drilled and all! So I'm pretty excited. 70g tank 2 halide lights 48 inches long. For $200 :)

Actually I'm talking to the guy who has the 75g now and it's cheaper than the 50 and he has lights I can get for little more. The tank is drilled and all! So I'm pretty excited. 70g tank 2 halide lights 48 inches long. For $200 :)

DO IT! :bounce:

One thing I didn't see on your list that is practicaly a must have is a RO/DI unit. And congrats on the great find on that deal!

i thought that would only be needed if i was using tap water.
if i get RODI from somewhere then that wouldnt be really needed would it

then again....transporting 100g of water home to put in my tank and sump tank would not be easy

but isnt that what an RODI filter does?

Yea, a RO/DI unit just makes it so you can turn your own home tap water into usable water rather than like you said buy and transport 100gallons from the store. Not only for the initial setup buy everytime you have to do a water change which I would recommend doing once a week. Basically, it will save you a lot of headache and money in the long run so if you can afford it you probably should buy one from the get go.

+1 gg

They are definitely convenient in that you don't have to transport water home from the LFS, but then you still have to pre-mix your salt and PH buffer, plus change make sure to keep up on the filters for the R/O unit...not that that's so bad, but I'm lazy and don't have the $100 to spend up front for the filter

that does definitely sound better than transporting so much.

there are a few kinds...
any suggestions?
whats cheap to operate?

do you need a water line running to the tank to use this?

You don't need a water line running to the tank. You can run the line to wherever you want to store the water -- some people use a storage container under the sink.

OH MY GOD! DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!

I used to have one. You have to change out the cartridges soooo often, like every 10 - 20 gallons or so. Total waste of money, since the cartridges are $20 apiece -- half the price of the filter itself! You will have spent more money on this piece of junk after making 20 gallons than you would had you just bought a regular old RODI unit.

With buying that and one replacement filter you're over half way toe a complete RODI system. Don't waste your money. Those don't last very long and are not as good.

Ninja

Back