researching

Haha thanks biff

I'm going to get my tank lights and stand today :)
and as long as that goes well I'm going to order my RO/DI tonight from purewaterclub

sand or crushed coral?
I think sand looks better but what is actually better?

Sand is better. Crushed coral has large enough particles that it traps detritus and craps, and can lead to water quality problems. And sand-dwelling animals won't be as happy in crushed coral.

no dont buy live sand in a bag. Its a waste of money I did it. I had a nice cloudy tank for about a week because it said not to rinse it. Get the dry stuff and rinse it well it will get live on it own and save you some major bucks.

There IS a trick to adding that so called live sand without clouding the tank.But like Ted mentioned,just get the dry stuff.Its a whole lot cheaper than the wet stuff,and will become live fairly quick.

Did you guys get imported dry stuff or did you go to the local beach or something? My LFS made it a big deal that "everyone" was buying up this live Fiji stuff in the bag because it was so white...I was like, "we're walking distance to the Pacific Ocean, people come here for vacation...why would I get sand from Fiji?"

I got bagged stuff.

Actually, I did too, I just didn't get the stuff from Fiji, I got some stuff that was supposed to resemble the local beaches, which was also like $6 cheaper/bag; I'm pretty sure our sand is polluted too. I know while I was living in L.A., we had a few beaches that would get closed from time to time due to a sewage spill or after a rain (all the crap from the rain gutters gets washed up on shore and you will see needles; nasty), and I didn't trust getting sand from the beach, but at the same time, I don't think it's an ugly color that would require me to buy sand from Fiji.

Our beaches get closed down because of flooding and such too. Onl porblem is that the tests they do take atleast a day to get back so they close the beaches after everyone has been swimming in it for a day or so.....

Hardly ever go to the beach though

Brian

Yeah, Chicago beaches are pretty nasty, they are closed down often because of dead fish, birds, and people(lol, j/k), and always testing positive for e. coli...

the sand in virginia beach isn't too bad but the water is pretty green from the chesapeake bay all running to one spot and being so high in algae and im pretty sure its pretty polluted.

but anywayy... i got my 75 gallon tank but i ended up leaving the lights. they werent bright enough i dont think. i want to get some so i wont have to upgrade later.

i need to build a nice sump
so im gonna go check out that forum and see what others have built...

Back