Resun Mini 20 Chiller

StimulusPackage

Reefing newb
I found one of these cheap on ebay. Has anyone heard of it? is it any good? I have a small tank and would like to keep from dropping $500 on a chiller if i can.

+1 Little_fish
My problems were solved with a simple fan. Much less out of my pocket! With a solution thats works just as good!

Yep, me too. Lived in Arizona for the past 12 years and never needed a chiller for any of my tanks. Clip on fans are the way to go!

Plus, another thing to consider about chillers is that they are like window AC units, in that they pull the heat from the tank but release it to the environment around them. So a chiller will cool your tank, but heat up the room that it's in. That will make your house AC work harder, and if you don't have AC, the warmer room will heat up your tank, making the chiller work harder. They are not effective unless you have a way to vent them to an outside area.

I found one of these cheap on ebay. Has anyone heard of it? is it any good? I have a small tank and would like to keep from dropping $500 on a chiller if i can.

Personally I am not a big fan of aquarium chillers. You would probably be better off buying a window air conditioner and cool down the entire room where the fish tank is located.
That way, the tank stays cool, and you stay cool as well.

Chillers are equipment that only make sense in very specific situations and most reef tank settings do not fall into that category.

In my opinion, the only way to set up a chiller would be to have the unit outside the house in a shaded area so that the heat drawn from the aquarium does not go back into the room and heat up the tank again. That would involve plumbing the in and out water lines between the tank and chiller with insulated pipes for the entire distance.
Having it any other way is like installing an air conditioning unit with all components inside the house, including the condenser.

Heat does not disappear. It only transfers from one object to another.
I don't get why some people set up their chillers under their tank right next to the sump and wonder why they are not getting the advertised peak cooling effect.

Back