Retro fit lighting versus full system lights

DrBCool

Reefing newb
Hey everyone ,

Simple question : I have a 36 gallon bow front tank that is 30"'s in length .. I have been reading and reading and comparing and reading and reading and comparing ...lol.. lights and systems .. Here is what I have to ask

I have decided to go with this lighting system :
Coralife 24" AquaLight Pro HQI w/pc's: Premium Aquatics

Or I can go this route :
Coralife 36" Aqualight Pro "retrofit Kit": Premium Aquatics

Ok so now for the question ...I am a pretty handy person and was wondering what it would take to make the retro lighting system work ?

The price on the 36" retro fit is way better than the 24" full system I can just let the actinic bulbs hang 3 inches on either side of the tank ... I think that would be better for lighting than shorting myself 6" of light ...

Any help here would be greatly appreciated :-)

Doug

I disagree with your conclusion on the longer lights. For a 30" long system, the 24" light will be fine. that will only leave 3 inches at each end and the light will filter to the ends where you can put your zoo's and less light loving corals. Having a light system that hangs over the tank provides no additional benefit other than an neusance in the room where lighting is concerned. hope this helps.

Cool.. Any ideas how to build a hood around the retro fit lighting system .. ?

I just thought the $299 price for the 36" retro fit was a steal on that lighting system was the only reason I was considering it :-) I can't even find the same retro in the 24" system for anywhere near that price ...

the 36" retro I found on sale ...

By the way do you think that will be toooo much lighting for the Zoo's ? I really like the color variations on them things and can see covering my rock with many different colors :-) So many choices and not enough tank space ... just starting out and already need more room ......lol

I would say since this is a retro kit and you are going to be building it I would go with the 36" unit and make it a 30" You can modify the reflector simply by shortening it on both ends so the MH spot will still be in the middle of the tank and then the PCs will just move more to the middle of the unit and then you can house the whole thing in a nice little wooden box that you can build really easily with wood from Home Depot or something similar. Then mount the whole thing over the tank or hang it over the tank. And all that will take is cutting 3" off each end of the reflector and you are golden.

The links you provided were not true retrofits. they were system light packages. if you meant to build your own, then you will need to build a light hood propely vented and install your retro in the hood. (simply put) and in that case yes the 36" cut down to fit inside the hood would be the way to go.

Back