return pump flow

try to get one that will return at the rate of 10 to 15 times tank volume.... mag pumps work among the best...remember that you will lose flow with piping and height...

Last edited:
I would reccomend a mag 12.. you will lose some flow rate coming back.. and a mag 7 is only 480gph I think at 3 or 4 ft of height.. You can always put a ball valve in coming off the pump if needed to slow it down a bit.. having a faster flow is better then to slow....

A mag 12 is a massive pump for a 55 IMO....
You also have to figure what your flow going to your sump is...No sense in having a mag 12 if you have to dial down to half flow...

How do I figure out the flow going to the sump? Sorry I'm still new to this. I'm going to build the sump and I'm just trying to figure out all the pieces I'm going to need to get this up and running.

How do I figure out the flow going to the sump? Sorry I'm still new to this. I'm going to build the sump and I'm just trying to figure out all the pieces I'm going to need to get this up and running.

The flow is based on the size of your drain line coming into the sump, mostly 3/4" Overflow box perhaps? I didnt see what you had. I have a 55, with an overflow, 3/4", it could be 1" but there's loss in fitting, so i figure 1". I have a 650 gph return pump that will suck that line dry, that is, the drain line cant keep up with the pump, so you end up throttling it back with a ball valve, placed after the pump, I also divert water to my skimmer with that, and the pump runs both flat out, no valve closed. Use 45's in the plumbing where you can, as opposed to 90's, less restrictive.

it really depends on the brand mag pump you look at.. the one I have is only 850 gph at 3 ft minus any pipe restrictions would put it between the 10 tyo 15 times per hour rate, without a ball valve in.. others are 1150 or better at that same 3 ft height so just make sure when you buy it you know the gph at the 3 to 4 ft height.. :D this is the one I had on my 55.. Aquarium Water Pumps: Supreme Classic Mag Drive Pump I was pumping up about 5 ft and could get about 650gph out of it..

Last edited:
A Mag 7 would be plenty for a 55 gallon tank. Going bigger only means dialing it down to be able to keep up with your overflow, thus not allowing the pump to run at it's optimal output.

That's what I was really wondering about. Its more work to buy a larger pump just to have to dial it down to make it work when I really only need something a little smaller to be fine. So mag 7 it is. Lol. Now just to order it and get it all set up =)

No matter what pump you get, you need put a ball valve after it, even though its a smaller pump you might still find you have to dial it back.

No matter what pump you get, you need put a ball valve after it, even though its a smaller pump you might still find you have to dial it back.
How exactly do I do something like that? And I've read alot about what happens if you loose power, how the sump can overflow back into the tank. How do I make sure that doesn't happen?

I copied this from Seabee in another thread

You set your intake and return lines at a level where when they drain back into the sump, it doesnt overflow. Most people drill a hole in thier lock-line return to allow air in to break the siphon. You also leave room in your sump for extra water-several inches-to allow the water level to equalize, and not flood. Its easier than it sounds, and its scary, I watched mine all night the first night. You unplug your return pump to "test" the system, and watch the water level. Its a balancing act, but easy. Dont sweat it, people here can help you.

but i will post a picture of my return pipe when i get home so you can see what i mean with the ball valve

The smaller pipe is the return from my pump, and you can see the red ball valve. It was very simple to install, just glue it in place.

I use a Mag 12 as the return pump for my 90, and I have it dialed down about 2/3 of the way. I agree -- for a 55 that may be a bit overkill! :D

Back