return pump for sump

lilduud

Reefing newb
so does the gph of the sump return in comparison to the overflow have to be exact? if not which can be higher? im looking at a 300 gph overflow unit but i can only find a 350 gph return pump... it does not say if it adjustable but would it be better to have a slightly lower gph return than the overflow ro a slightly higher one...

the output of the pump will usually be higher than the input of the overflow. My overflow box inputs 900gph and my pump outputs 1150gph thats why i have valves on the input and output to regulate the flow going up. How big is your tannk?

Nemo is right. Buy a pump that is rated higher than your overflow. You will lose some of that due to head loss (the distance and direction the water has to flow when it leaves the pump to reach your tank), and you will put a ball valve on the return line anyways so that you can dial down the return pump if need be.

Dont forget to put a check valve on the return either incase the power goes out the water wont back feed back into the sump..

Sorry for not being clear... The main tank will be 55 and the sump will either be a 20 or a custom depending on the stand I buy... But about 20 gallons

+ Nemo

As Nemo said, you would want the return punp to have more flow capability than the overflow, you can use a valve to match the flow from the return pump to the overflow on the tank

No I realize now that the return pump should be stronger than the overflow but should tr overflow be more than 300 gph inthe first place for a 55 gallon tank and 20 gallon sump

I run a 800gph for a 75g. if you have a 20g sump 300 is bare minimum. You also have to take into consideration headroom incase the power goes out and if you are going to have a fuge in the sump...

ill just use the 800 gph version of the same overflow box.. its not all that more expensive i was just trying to save some change here and there...

Back