Return pump size

Massey

Reefing newb
Here is the setup!

90G corner drilled tank, feeding into a 20G home made sump. The main tank will be about 28" off the ground (+the height of the tank).

My LFS recommended something like a MAG 1200.

I always want more than one opinion when it comes to stuff like this.

Thanks

I agree. A Mag 1200 pumps 1200 gph, and you want at least 10 times the size of your tank going through your return pump. Sounds right to me.

You should go with apump that is rated the same as your overflow or slightly higher.

1200gph overflow/1200-1500gph water pump will be good.

Thanks guys. I found some Mag 1800s on E-Bay for less than my LFS sells the Mag 1200 so I think I am going to get the 1800 and build a pressure relief like I did for my SW tank.

Massey

I forgot to mention.

If your using the mag out of sump then look at alternatives.Mags are loud out of water.Look for Panworld for out of sump pumps.

The pump will be submerged. I am going to make the plumbing with a T so I can bypass the extra pressure back into the sump to prevent overflows and also so I dont stress the pump by restricting the flow.

Massey

P.S. Does any one know where I can get one-way valves for PVC pipe? I believe it is 1 5/16 OD.

Yeah! I've had that one for about a year and a half now. Figured it was time to switch it up a bit. You know, throw you guys for a loop.

I just realized that, also your sig is from Blades of Glory? That movie is freakin hilarious..

I use 2 Rio HF20's for returns, give good flow with lower noise..

I think you are going to experience issues trying to run the flow of a Mag 18 through a 20g sump. Thats going to be almost a 90X flow through the sump. A skimmer placed in that much flow will be almost useless. Also, you can baffle the sump, but you will probably still get microbubbles.

I personally believe you could get away with a MUCH smaller pump, that would get the job done while using a lot less power.

check valves are good but i don't trust them. they tend to malfunction. i used to have one and when i turn the pump off the flapper tends to get stuck in the open possition. JMO

and for the return pump, go with MAG12. you'll have problem with maintaining your water level if you go with 18 unless you get a bigger sump.

Back