Reusing a Coral Dip Solution...?

SaltwaterNoob17

Reefing newb
So, I bought 3 corals today (zooanthids, leather coral, & candy coral - pics coming soon :mrgreen:), and I dipped them each in an iodine dip. I'm hoping to get a few more corals tomorrow. :x: I saved the iodine/water solution I used today on the corals; is it okay to reuse that solution, or should I dump it and mix a new iodine dip for tomorrow?

Alright, still new, what is dipping corals?

I'm still kinda new myself, Josh. This is the first time I've ever dipped corals. :mrgreen: You dip corals in an iodine solution in order to help corals heal. An iodine dip may also help rid the corals of pests like flatworms. It is recommended to dip your corals before you add them to your aquarium, or if you notice them sick or infected. You can also freshwater dip some corals (like zoanthids). A freshwater dip is harsher than the iodine dip, but it is effective at removing pests.

I would not reuse it. You would have to keep the temp right to not stress the coral. Plus all the pests and pods that die in the dip will funk up the water quality. If you have a few corals to dip at the same time I think you could reuse it. Iodine is a lot cheaper then killing a new coral by using a old dip.

+1 on not reusing the dip solution. I would not reuse the dip. Any slime, organic material etc. that comes off the coral during the dip will begin to break down in the dip solution and I can imagine that the water quality in the dip solution will spoil fast. The corals are already going to be stressed by the iodine in the dip and exposing them to even more stress from bad water is something I would not recommend.

I only have my own experience to go by. Been doing OK on my leathers for 12 yrs now. Not trying to discount anyones experience just stating that I have used it two to three times within a week on leathers and they have done fine and better after treatment. Just my experience.

Iodine is an antiseptic,so it kills any bacteria that may be in the container that was used for the dip.
Like Mike,I've used the same container of solution for dipping corals over the course of a week.But to be safe,I wouldnt go much longer than that.

I reused the dip that next day (I got the "con" advice after I had already reused it). However, the corals seem healthy and happy, so, for right now, no complaints...

Back