Reusing live rock

Alaskastu

Reefing newb
I acquired a salt tank at my most recent relocation and it was a disaster. Worms everywhere and the water was absolutely filthy. I didn't bother testing after seeing nitrates shoot into deep red before even allowing time for solution to fully finish. Anyway, after killing the tank I put the rock in a tub outside my house. It's been out there for over two months covered in snow in 5-15degree weather. I had hoped this plus boiling the rock on my propane burner for a few hours would suffice in order to use this rock again. What do you think? I really don't want to do the long process of curing in tubs with air stones and massive water changes for months. Thoughts?

I say scrub it off well, and let it dry out before putting it in a tank, and it will essentially become base rock...which is fine, because it will become live during your tank cycle process. In fact, I cycled my 125g with just base rock and frozen mysis.

How long does that process normally take? I have about 25lbs of live rock now and I have bought some base rock to go in there with it. I also bought a nice piece of plate coral that I thought would make a nice beading grounds with all those cavities.

Back