Reusing LR covered in algae from the ugly tank?

breebauer

Reefing newb
Thanks to everyone who helped my with my LR in a bucket dillema, and that kind of led into this current dillema:

The LR from the ghetto tank that's covered in green algae:

A few have told me that if I just scrub it to death that I can put it back in the tank. My bf is a little leary of letting me do that. He thinks that any part of the LR that still has green hair algae on it with only multiply when it's put back into the tank.

I was under the impression that the algae can only grow if there are phosphates and /or nitrates present.

So here's the question:

I'm taking the LR w/ alot of green algae on it, scrubbing it, rinsing it in tank water, letting it sit, then returning it to the tank. If there's some algae left on it, is it going to spread to the clean LR?

(I say no, he says yes... he thinks it's some kind of virus, and won't listen to me :frustrat: maybe I'm wrong, but I had to ask...)

Thanks again!

Check out the 'Best Deal Show Off Thread':

https://www.livingreefs.com/forums/...-deal-coral-w-pics-your-lfs-other-vendor.html

And the 'Best Freebie' thread:

https://www.livingreefs.com/forums/reef-talk/11620-show-us-your-freebies-pics-please.html

I'm excited to see some pics in those....

Scrub off as much as you can with a toothbrush. If your water quality is good in the new tank, then the remaining algae will slowly die off on its own. It may grow for a little bit at first, but in the end, the water quality is what will dictate whether or not it will spread. It will also help to reduce your photoperiod or turn off your lights altogether (if you don't have corals or anemones) to quickly kill off anything that is remaining. So you are right, he is wrong. But isn't that how it usually is? ;)

I just added about 30lbs of LR full of hair algae into my 29 gal 2 weeks ago and it is now clear and so as the tank. as a matter of fact, it is ready to go into my display tank. I know you're going to ask me what my trick is. It is all about the hermits. My 29 gal has about 100 hermits on it not counting the snails which are anywhere between 20-30 and are a mixture of turbos, nassarius and astreas. they keep my 29gal clean and free of algae.

I would add it to the DT and toss in a mexican turbo and an emerald crab. With good parameters, I bet the algae will be gone in a week

-Doc

Great advice.
It wouldnt hurt anything to give that tank a few doses of Marine SAT either.
Its just live bacteria that will compete with the algae for nutreints.

Back