reusing old rock

Greenman

Reefing newb
I have about 15-20 lbs of live rock sitting in an old tote that I took out of a tank about 6 months ago. I know the rock probably doesnt smell the best because it wasnt cleaned first. What's the best way to clean this rock up to reuse in a larger tank. I was told a 10% bleech solution for 24 hours and than let it set in tap water for 24 and than let set in the sun and stay dry for a few days. Does this sound alright or could it be risky?

I'm doing the same thing. I put a tub in the garage with the rocks. Filled it with saltwater, added a heater, powerhead. Ill throw in some shrimp and let it cycle for about two months. Ill treat it with prime every week. When the nitrates stabilize I can take then out of the tub and put them in the tank. This is what I've learned doing a little research. Brs has a video on it. Ill probably do 20% water changes every week took there's only 12 gallons in the tub. The rocks took up all the space.
Also you can put one Rock at a time into the tank but it leaches ammonia and phosphates and nitrates until it cured. Most people dose a chemical in their tubs to get rid if the phosphates the rocks produce in the tub. Ill look it up when I get home from work.

I was just tryin to do a quick job by bleaching the hell outa it and letting it dry. I wasnt aware i had to recure it and everything. Might just buy new rather than do that.

Why would you need to cure dry rock? I mean most my rock I made myself using Concrete. Isnt curing basicly for killing off die off?

If u make it yourself it's fine but if its dry your still supposed to cute it. There's still dead stuff on it and it will still leach unwanted chemicals like phosphates.. When u cure your rock it adds to the cycle and doesn't put unwanted chemicals in your system. That's what is recommended. I put the dry in with the live when I start my tank and let it cure in there.

I did the Rock Reincarnation process from Reef Central. First you soak the rock in water (with a powerhead just for a little movement) with 1:10 Bleach for 24 hours, then dump and rinse until you cannot smell chlorine....I rinsed mine well and then let it air dry til the next weekend then I put them back in the barrel with water (and the powerhead) and add muriatic acid SLOWLY...a little bit at a time....til you get to 1:10 of muriatic acid....this will foam and bubble and fume....don't get it on you or anything you are highly fond of...it will stop bubbling then after about an hour add a BIG box of baking soda to neutralize it...it will bubble over again...and then it will just be water and salt (not our kind of salt) this time swish each rock in RO/DI water til clean....the bleach kills EVERYTHING and the acid takes off all the organic detritis and a laver of the rock....the heavy metals and Phosphates don't absorb deep into the rocks but are more shallow deposition and external plating so the acid dip takes off that nasty layer....

When you're done the rocks will look clean and new....then it will all have to be cycled using sand or LR for a source of cycle....

Back