Reward: $50 for Algae Solution

earman88

Reefing newb
If anyone can provide a long-term solution to my green hair algae problem, I will gladly PayPal you $50 as a reward (once solution has actually worked for a couple weeks).

Yes, that is how frustrated I am with this issue. I've even bought a BRS dual reactor for the tank, which I have not implemented due to me burning my pump for it.

Interesting note: The algae is only growing on my live rock that has been in the tank since December (start date of tank). I picked up the big center-top rock, top right, and bottom front rock all 3-4 months ago, and the algae doesn't sprout on those.

My water changes come one a week, and I am using salt water that is pre-mixed at my LFS for all their tanks. I have never tested it for phosphates (nitrates were 0).

The only filtration would be a Purigen pouch in my HOB (HOB is clear of all other media).

All other perimeters check out fine per API. I haven't ever tested my Ca/Mg/Ph

Video taken yesterday:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQVycl3i5fY"]10-28-2012 10g Update - YouTube[/ame]

I would put in some turbos, one or two nudibranch, and if you have enough room in the tank a tang as well. or have a refugeum to take the nutriance.

Have you tried a turbo snail or three? And are you sure its hair algae and not bryopsis?

Regarding snails: I have had turbo's, asteria (sp), and I have a few blue leg crabs. Also 2 nass. snails have been in there for months.

@FishyReef
I am almost certain it's not bryopsis. The algae just looks like hair, and doesn't have a structure to it like a fern.

Nudibranch's I have never tried. I might consider a nudibranch + lawnmower blenny as well.

Remove from the tank whatever is leaching phosphates. Algae can't grow unless it's feeding on something. Phosphate tests can be misleading because the algae is sucking it all up leaving nothing to register on the tests. Urchins, sea hares, etc fix problem but not the cause.

Where did your rock come from? Could it have soaked something up that its now leaching? Also, are you feeding heavily? Nitrates are testing ok?

Remove from the tank whatever is leaching phosphates. Algae can't grow unless it's feeding on something. Phosphate tests can be misleading because the algae is sucking it all up leaving nothing to register on the tests. Urchins, sea hares, etc fix problem but not the cause.

Where did your rock come from? Could it have soaked something up that its now leaching? Also, are you feeding heavily? Nitrates are testing ok?

My rocks were purchased from 2 separate locations.

The first rocks that I got back in January 2012, were from PetCo. Those are the fiji rocks that the algae is growing on.

The second batch of rocks I added were from my LFS. No algae problems on them strangely.

But earlier this year, around Jan-May I never had this algae issue on the PetCo rocks.
I am not over feeding them.

Also, D2mini.. I am with you.. I want to eliminate the source of the algae over just a remedy.

I would test for phosphates in the tank and in your LFS water, especially if your nitrates are at 0. You say you have had snails, but what do you have currently? Put a turbo and a few more astreas in there, a few ceriths as well. And maybe an emerald crab. Good luck with it. It sounds like the rock you got from PetCo is leaching something.

Last edited:
What is your Mag reading? Are you dosing Mag at all? I know that elevated Magnesium will kill off all algae, but you need it up around 1600-1700

Your tank is so small, why not just pull the petco rock and toss it and replace it with a few more lbs from your LFS? Sounds like that's the problem rock. Everytime I go into petco and look at their rock it looks like its better suited for fresh water tanks and not typical saltwater rock.

+1 fishy...it those are the only rocks that have it. I would agree that it must be coming from those rocks.

Yeah, it doesn't surprise me that is was fine for months before exhibiting problems. Something could have been soaked up by the rocks and then it took this long for it to start leaching. Take them out and see what happens.

Your tank is so small, why not just pull the petco rock and toss it and replace it with a few more lbs from your LFS? Sounds like that's the problem rock. Everytime I go into petco and look at their rock it looks like its better suited for fresh water tanks and not typical saltwater rock.

Not a bad idea - I might redo my tank, to a more "island of live rock/coral."
If you couldn't tell in my video, the algae is also growing on my crushed coral substrate.

Isn't the consensus to only use live sand in aquariums? Or use a high proportion of live sand to crushed coral? EDIT: Don't answer that.. I know there's plenty of posts already on this site. :)

Last edited:
Pull that crushed coral my friend! Seriously, that stuff will cause all sorts of problems for you over time! You can remove a little at a time and once its all out then replace with aragonite sand. Your tank will thank you :)

And there isn't anything that says you have to use live sand - you can use dry sand and it will become live over time. But you shouldn't use crushed coral at all ;)

Fishy is correct, get rid of the crushed coral too. It's known to collect gunk and become a nitrate factory. I noticed the algae on the sand and was going to ask if you had enough sand stirrers and detritus eaters, and was one of the reasons I asked how much you feed. I didn't realize it was crushed coral. I don't know why this stuff is even sold.

Before you can beat algae, you have to get ahead of it. Once it's established and growing, it'll feed off of itself even after you get the cause it taken care of.
Get a sea hare to start. It'll help you beat the algae back. Then starve the rest of it by figuring out where the algae nutrients are coming and eliminating it.

Back