Ricordea and purple mushroom acclimation and quarantine

Glad to hear that at least a few of the mushrooms made it. To bad the ricordea didn't make it. You'll have several baby mushrooms before you know it. Hang in there.

Glad to hear that at least a few of the mushrooms made it. To bad the ricordea didn't make it. You'll have several baby mushrooms before you know it. Hang in there.

Thanks. I may get another ricordea tomorrow, if I can get to the LFS. My daughter was really disappointed that it didn't make it. I'll have to see.

One question. Is there a good way to know how much light to give a mushroom coral (particularly discus ones such as the blue mushrooms, but I plan on getting another ricordea as well)? I have been using just the actinic PCs since putting the blue mushroom in the tank. I put them on for a couple hours in the morning and a couple hours in the early evening so I can be home to watch it. It opens up really nicely, but I was hoping there were some signs I could watch for in case it is too much or not enough light.

Thanks.

Some times,shrooms wont open all the way if there too much light.But they may expand a little more if there not enough.
The best way to place shrooms is to place them on the bottom,kinda in some shade,and work them out and up from there.

Thanks Yote. They are at the bottom, and can stay there if it's best, and are wide open. I won't put the MH lights on for a few more days, then for only 1/2 an hour at first to see how they look.

OK, I went to the LFS to get Nassarius (spelling?) snails now that the salinity is back up. They are actually pretty cool looking snails (and I'll never buy hermits again). While there, I saw a three polyp mini-rock of zoas for $10. I couldn't resist as it is one of the more simple corals I wanted. This one was in a bright neon green which made it even more difficult to pass up, besides the fact that I research them fairly well so I wasn't buying something I didn't know about. So now I have a single blue mushroom that is doing great and the small zoas. One of them opened up this afternoon, which was encouraging. I am hoping they all open tomorrow. I is my understanding that they close at night. I also took some super glue gel (first time but it was recommended by others here) and glued them to a small rock at the bottom of the tank.

My question is, will the two 96 watt actinic PCs be enough light for them or should I use the MH lights as well. The mushroom seems to be doing great under the actinics so I don't want to use the MH light until I really need to do so.

Thanks.

Glad to hear your mushroom is still doing good. Congrats on your second coral. The PC should be enough. As long as they open they'll be alright. Did you place them on the sandbed? How long are you leaving your lights on?

Thanks, Piggy. The Zoas are on the bottom of the tank on a small 4 x 5 or maybe 4 x 6 inch rock. I glued the small rock chip they are on to the larger rock using the super glue gel that has been discussed here before. I'll just use the PCs for now.

I'm hoping these will do well and I'll gain enough experience that I can begin trying things like the Australian blastos and closed brain coral in six months or so. Plus, the neon green (with stripes) on the zoas look better than anything else I have seen at the LFS.

I'll try to get pictures when I replace my wife's camera. Hopefully that will be soon. She has been very patient with me considering I am the one who broke it.

If they don't seem to open up all the way after a few days just move them up a little bit. When do you plan on turning on the MH? These corals will have to get use to them. You'll probably have to shade the mushrooms when you do. I have T5's and my mushrooms have to be under a ledge or they bleach.

If they don't seem to open up all the way after a few days just move them up a little bit. When do you plan on turning on the MH? These corals will have to get use to them. You'll probably have to shade the mushrooms when you do. I have T5's and my mushrooms have to be under a ledge or they bleach.

I wasn't planning on turning on the MH light until it is actually needed. I'm a bit nervous about it after the trouble with the blue mushrooms. I guess I'll just have to work through it. I can move the blue mushroom under a bit of rock work if you think that will help. I don't mind things bleaching as much as browning and turning to mush. I figure I can at least take action if I notice them bleaching. It seems harder to know what to do when they just brown and turn soft.

I'll definitely move the zoas up if they don't open all the way.

Thanks again.

Depending on the Zoa,it may be just like the shrooms and like lower light.I've got some green zoas that are growing like weed back under a ledge.Almost completely shaded.

They were starting to open, but the Singapore Angel took a couple nips and they closed right up :grumble:. Now I'm starting to wonder if he had anything to do with my missing blue mushroom. Guess who may be back at the LFS tonight??? While I like the Singapore, I like the corals more. Plus, I could then look for a couple more reef safe wrasse :mrgreen:. I'll keep an eye on him this afternoon.

Thanks Yote. I'll be calling the LFS to see if they will give a decent credit. He's really a good fish, but I really want to be 100% safe. It simply costs too much when I have four kids to feed. And yes, Yote, you do actually have to feed them :D.

Yeah ... but then they may decide to cook up my fish :shock:.

By the way, the Singapore is now sitting in the QT. I had to take most of the rock out, but it is done. I called the LFS and they will give me credit. Plus they are getting in a new shipment this afternoon. I'll leave the Angels to the expert ... Doc. Which means he will have to continue to post lots of pics :D.

Last edited:
Back