ricordea attach to gravel?

beeguiles

they call me fish geek ;p
I bought a ricordea today and it was attached to a small rock but on the way home it came off the rock almost all the way. My husband wants it to be on the gravel bc he thinks it looks like a cool carpet thing lol he wants it to spread across the gravel. So my question is..its mostly on the gravel now but one piece is still attached to LR. Can I leave it like this one the gravel. Can it permanently stay on the gravel and will it multiply being on the gravel? It's live sand that's its on actually.

It won't stay on the sand. It will drift away, and likely end up at the back of your tank, where you will never see it again. :cry:

You should take a small tupperware container, put some rock rubble in the bottom, place the ricordea in the container, and use some bridal veil or netting to stretch across the top of the container (use a rubber band to hold it). Then put the container in your tank. It will attach to the rock in a week or two.

Well it is attached to a small rock but only by a little bit and I don't wanna pull it off. Will it just move up a little a fully attach to that rock? Can they move at all?

If it doesn't like where it's at, it will detach from the rock completely and float away. You are better off putting the small rock its attached to on a larger rock, so it has something to grab on to. It will not be able to grab on to the sand.

I flipped the rock around so its sitting up against another rock and it think it likes it better. It seems to be attached securely now. That didn't take very long lol

Tell your husband to look into plate corals I just got one and they are a type of mushroom but they actually do like being on the sand! They can get pretty big too I got the smallest one they had and its about 3-4 inches.

Here it is with its feelers extended.

Amber, thats a large polyp stony coral- not related to mushroom (corallimorphians)-fungia/plate corals are motile and love to be on the substrate-motile means they can move! they can flip them selves over and climb small slopes- remember they are stinging cell animals so them bumping into other animals on there trips around the aquarium can not be so good-They are beautiful
corals just be aware they can move and will!
John.

If its a long tentacle plate I would not worry to much they tend to stay put-as long as conditions suite them, they like lots of light! short tentacles are wanderers.They are beautiful corals and once happy in the system reproduce-a lot- also get very large!

I tend to assume-not good-these are high maint corals need to be fed at least once a week, I feed mine silversides chopped up they are slow eaters -so if you have shrimp they will quickly learn pull the meal out of the gut cavitity of the coral-
I have had remove my shrimps and a smart falco hawk out of my LPS tank because of there thievery!

+1 jzaso. Not related to mushrooms, but the name fungia could lead you to believe that.

AAAH very deceptive name! Thanks

Mine hasnt moved at all and when i fed him some mysis earlier he opened up his mouth really big and ate them all at once LOL Very cool creatures.

If it can move and sting things idk if I want that lol

Its part of a reef! I didnt want anything that stings at first either and then I ended up with 2 anemones!! I couldnt even sleep the first few nights worrying that they would eat my shrimp but they dont bother anyone at all. I just feed them every couple of days and they are happy blowing in the breeze.

I saw some at a coral store the other day and they looked awesome. But it was some rare kind I guess and was like 300 bucks. Maybe someday I will get one. They are really cool. I just don't like the fact that if it decides to move it can sting my other corals and hurt them or kill them. Maybe when my tank is more mature. :-)

All corals can sting each other and hurt each other. It's just part of the hobby!

There are some "designer" plate corals that go for several hundreds of dollars. My LFS had a bright aqua blue one that they were selling for something insane (like $400 or $500?) several months ago.

The more common colors (green, purple and orange) can commonly be found for less than $50.

Yea I think the one I saw was a designer one. Like 300 bucks. You are right about the stinging. Placement and planning is key. I'm a worrier lol. I got home today and my scallop was hiding behind a rock...figures. had to get it out. And the ricordea got lose. So I tied it back again. This time a little stronger. Musta slipped out.

Back