ricordea mushroom help!

HAWKS12thMAN

NWKRC THUG!
I own a rock with some white ricordea mushrooms on it. I have placed them all over my tank high, med and low light and they just wont come out. There on the bottom now, I just moved them from the top of my tank and I thinking about putting them in a shaded area now. Has any one else had this problem? All of my other corals a doing better than ever in the new tank!

I've got some mushrooms. They are the smooth skinned brownish bodies with bright green fluorescent stripes.

Mine prefer lower flow at the bottom of a 24" tank where the light is pretty low. I had them up near the top in the fast current and bright lights, but they wouldn't open. Within 3 or 4 hours of moving them down to the bottom--they were in full bloom.

This isn't even full color or fully opened. They look bright chartreuce green recently and the little bulbs on the tip of each stripe are glowing green. The 2 largest ones in the pic get about 2" diameter when fully open. As you can see, this is only about 4--6" off the bottom of my tank and it's 24" deep.

FirstShroomg.JPG

Last edited:
ricordia don't like bright light. Mine have done better lower in my tank. Mine do not open really big either, maybe we have the same problem.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Yeah right! Mine were the size of dimes when I bought them, and they are still that same size! How to make them grow and multiply, is the question!

I feed my tank cyclopeze twice a week..... When I bought them they were brilliant in color and out fully under MH lights..... I just dont know

huh. that is weird. I maybe I will try feeding them marine snow or something to boost them up. The ones in my LFS are HUGE and under MH, but they are all on the bottom of the tank. Mine are the size of half dollars, so a bit better than yours, biff.

sometimes this things just "happens"...everyting seems to go fine and boom...good parameters, trace elements weekly water changes..you know what they say..$%!t happens..

ricordeas tend to be picky, I had one in my nano forever (2 years) and it never really grew, I added some blues in there and they started to spread and do awesome. They all have now moved to the 850.

Yes I know pics pics pics... :) LOL I will get some more.

huh, you learn something new everyday...I just found out that what I actually want are Yumas and not Florida Ricordias. I never knew there was a difference until I asked. Yumas tend to get much larger than the florida ricordias that I have in my tank. I guess mine are normal size, about the size of a half dolalr. The Yuma's at my LFS are about $50 a polyp. They had a rock with 3 polyps. Yup, don't worry, it is still at the LFS if someone wants to go down and get it. I will stick with my florida ricordias and hope they multiply.

Back