Rimless Tanks

d2mini

Reef enthusiast
What are your thoughts on rimless tanks for reef aquariums?
Personally, i think they look hot. But one problem I could think of immediately is fish could easily jump out. They could with regular aquariums too, but it's common to use canopy's on regular ones and with rimless that would kinda defeat the purpose.

But I love the look of a nice starfire 60g rimless cube. :bounce:

I would LOVE to have a rimless tank. just hang a light over it and choose your livestock wisely and dont add untill long after you actually want to so things are good and mature and you will lessen the chances of jumpers. I wish i had the funds to completely change over to one.

I think a rimless would better fit my home.

Here's a pic of the living room area and my tank is currently JUST out of this first shot on the right side. In the second shot the tank sits where the small hutch/mirror is at the end of the hallway. Third shot was taken as I was setting it up.

I would love to put a tank against that dark brown wall where the painting is. Our bathroom is behind that wall. But there isn't enough room between the wall and the sofa.
That striped wall is a spare bedroom (would eventually be a kids room) and it currently has my auto top off container in it with the line running through the wall to the sump in my stand. I could put a 60g cube on that wall (turned 90 degrees from my tank's current location) and maybe position it right at the edge of the wall near the doorway. Then put that hutch or something back in the alcove.

What do you think?

347376197_TqHxG-M.jpg

162355315_knz4z-M.jpg

399652219_3vJ6J-M.jpg

A rimless tank does sound really nice...I would use it for corals and inverts only, maybe a fish or two:mrgreen:

the only complaints ive heard of from rimless is that fish tend to splash water out of the tank onto your flor more. and of course always the more bracing the better.

This guy has a sweet rimless shallow reef (minimalist).
I've followed his RC threads and he's got some great tank there.

He has a 100g shallow rimless (same dims as a 120, only shorter).

Photo Gallery - Rimless Reef

I follow Sunny's thread over on RC too. He has a killer set-up.

D2mini I think a rimless reef would look exceptionally well in your house. If you dare I would even take a look at the Zero-edge tanks. Somebody here has a real nice one but I forget who.

I had a rimless tank made a few years ago that I want to set up for clams. But I have so many other tanks right now i just haven't taken the time and money to put it together.

I think they look sweet! As everyone says just choose your livestock wisely.

dcan - do you have pics of that tank yet?

No, sorry winy. I had it just about where I wanted it and was about to take pics and then I had the heater issue. I will soon I promise.

It was in my Zero Edge. But I had transferred all my corals into it from my Red Sea Max a few months ago, so I lost almost everything.

Slowly but surly, winy. I have some half dead corals where part of it survived so I have the skeleton part staring at me all the time. Bad memories.

Back