rimless vs. euro braced

parrotchute

DUSTOFF MEDEVAC
Looking for some input here guys.
I'm buying a new tank shortly (150 long) and am really debating between a couple of things.
Rimless will look AWESOME, but I probably won't be able to do "waves" from vortechs and I think a tank that big in rimless might leave me with a few sleepless nights.
Eurobraced should be able to handle the waves, and doesn't look too bad - the problem is, I'm thinking with the bracing at the top, it'd be hard to clean the glass with a scraper. Anyone have that issue? Anyone here have a euro-braced tank?

Also, for either, the choice is between black or clear silicone at the seams. Black kind of ruins the clean look of either tank. However, the tank company says that clear tends to turn yellow after 3-5 years so most people go with black...

Would love some experienced advice!
Build thread is just around the corner..

What about the euro bracing at the bottom and up the thickness of the glass?

And I know we talked about this before, but i think the wave action of the vortechs is fun but not really needed or not needed at the strength you see it at sometimes. I'm not a fan of eurobracing for the reason you mentioned but a strong magnet from Algae Free should pretty much prevent you from needing to scrape. I only scrape along the bottom edge near the sand once every few months. I just use the magnet every 2-3 days on the glass.

As for the silicone I chose white but black is very popular these days and it it still kinda disappears because the end of the glass you are staring into is a dark green, not clear anyway. Check out the rimless tank thread on RC if you haven't already. You should be able to find lots of examples. Might help you make a decision. Either way I don't think you can go wrong. Meanwhile I hope mine doesn't yellow!

I got my 90 gal used off of craigslist, and it was from the 80's according to the little sticker on the bottom, and the silicone is still clear, with pretty much no yellowing, so TBH, I don't think that the yellowing is all that big of an issue.

Thanks Dennis - definitely going to think about it, it's a hard choice. Glad to have the input on the silicone too.

Reef kid - I'm not sure, maybe they use different/more silicone on rimless tanks because it needs to be stronger.

Back