Rio pumps

xlayedoutx

Reefing newb
So whats your experience with them. My LFS says I should use the Rio 2500 for my return pump. Says he's been using them for ever and never has a problem but all I see online is people having problems with them.

I wouldnt use one for something like a return pump. My tank is not even 3 months old and my rio pump for skimmer already died... Dumbass me replaced it with another rio lol.

I have run rio's for years with no problems, but, I only use the grounded cord.(3 spade). the majority of the problems have been with the 2 prong or 2 spade plug cord that does not have the grounding prong. depending on how many gallons you want to turn over and the height of the return, you may want to check out the dolphin 1200, or the mag drive pumps. there are various pumps out there that will do the job for your. I do not believe the rio 2500 will be adequate for the 75 gal. im using 2 of the 2500's on my cpr 294 dual protien skimmers. The dolphin pondmasters are a line that may work for you. im using a 1200 in my main tank for circulation. just shop around a bit. look at marine depot.com and check out the pumps. also check out some of the other mail orders, and when you find the pump you want your lfs may be able to order it for your. good luck.

Last edited:
i hate rio pumps they suck if you run dry ever they will burn up i only use mag pumps for my return buy a mag not rio ive had my mag7 for 2 years now all the rio ive had maybe 6 months ive ran my mag7 for a hole weekend dry and i still work great

Last edited:
Back