Risk vs Benefit

StuInFlag

Reefing newb
I have some bubble algae growing. At first just two bubbles which I carefully removed. I guess I wasn't as careful as I thought. I've probably got about 20 bubbles I can see now.

I'd like to add 2-3 emerald crabs to help out, but I have a Valentini Puffer. In general, he has left invertebrates alone, as long as he was well fed. (I left my 16-year old daughter to take care of him once. My peppermint shrimp disappeared that weekend)

Is it worth a try? Or, should I try something else?

If you do manual removal, you need to be careful to not pop them. I had a few bubbles when I first started and got an emerald crab to take care of business. I guess it got plenty of food scavanging around because it never showed any intrest in the BA.

Yeah, I would have resorted to doing mrsaltwater's technique if my bubble algae was a huge problem, then toss in some emerald crabs to get rid of the rest.

I've got bubble algae bad, and I wish I would have been more aggressive with manual removal early on. Just be careful and do a water change immediately afterwards, or even better remove the rock and remove the algae outside of the tank.

That was a great video wonton, where do you find hard airline tubing?

I'm sure you could use a straw. But maybe crafts stores might have something like that.

Even though I did not have bubble algae, I thought it was cool video. Someone on here posted it a while back, and it sorta stuck in my list of great how-to videos.

I found and bought some of that rigid tubing at petco, where they sell their siphon equipment. That was only a few months ago, so your local petco may have it.

yup Mark Callahan is a very informative guy makes great vids :D

one thing i grasped and still take from him is the importance of knowing your tank personality

Back