RO/DI assistance

Gdbyrd

life's a beach
Don't really know how to title the thread but I need some help here.

I picked my RO/DI system a week or two ago and it's awesome. Would recommend it to ANYONE in this hobby..hell, I'd say it's an absoulte must. The way I have mine setup is pretty simple. I have a T off the cold water, and a valve on the clean water that I turn off and on. I just stick the end of the clean water into my 5 gallon jugs and set a timer, timer goes off it's full, then flip the valve to off.

Problems have been arising where:
1. The damn line falls out of the jug and pours water all over the floor.
2. Due to pressure changes inline, I end up getting a lot more water than normal and it overflows all over my floor.
3. I forget all about the timer and leave the house(this was the funnest, probably 10 gallons of water on the floor).

Either way, it's happened about 6 times since I've gotten the system.

What's the easiest solution to this problem? Right now I'm filling up 5g jugs because that's what I have available and they're super easy to move around in the house.

1. You could use a piece of duct tape to secure the line to the jug.
2. Keep a closer eye on it.
3. Keep a closer eye on it.

Like Yote says -- if you ain't flooding, you ain't reefin!

I used to let my RODI overflow constantly! I would fill 35 gallon trashcans for my old 240 gallon tank, and sometimes I'd even forget about it overnight. It sucks, but paying closer attention works.

Right now, I don't have that problem because I put the line directly in my sump and fill it up without going through a middle-container.

How about a large water holding tank (like a large trash can) set up with the water line and a float system, so that it will shut off when it is full.

Get a float vavle for the bucket. I will see if I can find a link. You just drill a hole in the top of the bucket and when it i full it will shot the water off.

Something like that would work great, especially if I can integrate it into the cap. I'm using this for water for my tank and for drinking. Using that water dispenser where you stand the bottle upside down..so I can't really destroy the containers...Well, the ones for my aquarium I can.

If you are using it for water you shouldn't be running though the DI. It strips out all the good trace elements that your body needs.

Well, everyone in the house takes a multivitamin daily, lol.

All of our local bought water is RO/DI. Literallly every place I've been to, it's at least a 6 stage process. One of which is DI.

Yeah it sucked for me to when I left mine going and then even though I had a float valve the pressure in the line caused a leak from where I had it connected to, and water dripped little by little and flowed all over the floor and dripped through the ceiling to the floor below causing $400 in damage! Bottom line, unless you have it somewhere like your garage where it won't matter if it leaks, don't run it while your not around.

i like the float valve idea, or you could sit the bucket in the sink, that way if it overflows, well, at least its not on the floor..

Yeah see that was my thought, put it in the tub, except apparently the pressure in the line was enough to drip past a very tight hose fitting where I had it connected even though the people at the hardware store assured me that a barb fitting would work fine with a hose clamp...

wow, what kind of pressures are you dealing with that a hose barb and a clamp couldnt hold it? or was the barb not quite the right size for the hose?

thats what i am wondering project. i have my whole tank using barb fittings. i use compression fittings for my ro but have never had any of them leak

i have clamps everywere except in my pump but i want to order some plastic clamps and put it on the pump and everywere else instead of the stainless ones

really, you think that the plastic ones are better than the stainless ones?

where can i look for the plastic ones, and are they specific as to what size that they will fit? cause i'm gonna need like 2 or 3 different sizes...

oh, very nice, thats a good link!

ok, so, over the weekend i was given permission to order my ro/di filter, but i'm not 100% sure what all i need. I think i've pretty much decided on purewaterclub.com just cause, well, i dunno why, but thats what i'm looking at...

so, i'm thinking either a 50gpd unit or a 100gpd, i mean i can get a bigger one, but i really dont need it, so that part will really just come down to $$ and features...

What i would like to end up with is a filter that is connected to my cold supply, and that i can then run a tube from, into my "storage" closet, where i will have my float valve equipped storage containers...

but, here are a few things i'm not 100% sure about...

My supply water pressure at my house varies from about 42 to up to 50psi, depending on what time of day it is, so i'm thinking that i may have to get a booster pump, well that kinda goes outside my budjet, so i'm thinking i'll just get the filter, and try it out, and then decide if i really need the pump...

i cant see needing a tank of any kind as i will use my own storage containers...

i'm not sure if i need a "automatic shutoff valve" like these:
PT-ASVQ RO Parts Quick Connector Auto Shut Off Valve#PT-ASVQ $8.00 PT-ASV Water Filter RO Parts Auto Shut Off Valve#PT-ASV $7.00
and the only diff i can see between thoes is that one has quick connectors and the other doesn't, is there anything else that i'm missing?

what else?
i know that theres gotta be sometihng i'm missing.. but what is it?

I just got the one I ordered from them (Purewate club $140) but I can't drop it in till this weekend. I am lucky to have 60 psi at my house.

Mine has two outputs. One is for the aquarium and the other is for drinking and comes with a tank and a tap for the sink. The directions on the website have pictures and are written pretty well. I think the drinking water skips one of the last filters. The drinking water part was a major bonus because it helped to convince the signifigant other that we need this. Just like we needed the high powered lights and the skimmer... hehehe

Back