RO/DI installation

Gdbyrd

life's a beach
I got my unit in from purewaterclub Tuesday but didn't have a chance to install it until a few minutes ago. Overall it was pretty easy to install, I had to get some different fittings than what was supplied in the kit, and that was the biggest pain.

I had 4 leaks. Two of which were really easy to fix. One it took a lot of pipe tape and some serious tightening. The last leak I can't seem to get in control. I'm going to have to buy some plumber putty or something...

I'm just wondering how long I should run the unit before I can start using it. I read two things in the instructions..35 minutes and 2 hours. Not sure how long I should do it honestly but I really need water and I'll be damned if I go buy some more from the watermill, lol. NEVER AGAIN.

Also, how often should I replace the filters? It says 6-12 months in the manual, probably be safer to go with the 6 months right?

If I were you, I'd run it for however long it takes to produce about 10 gallons, then I'd toss that first 10 gallons.

As for the filters, you need to buy a TDS meter to test your water quality. There's really no other way to tell if your RODI unit is working. They are cheap -- I got mine off of Ebay for $15.

When your TDS meter starts reading high (it's different for everyone, some people don't let their water get over 10, some don't let their water get over 50), then you change the filters.

I have a Pure Water Club RODI myself, and I was making a lot of water for my 240. At least 50 gallons a week. Even then, I was only changing the filters every 12 months or so.

Thanks for the advice. Damnit, I've been running it into the sink for the past two hours so I don't really know how much I've put down the drain. It should do about 4.2 gallons per hour so I guess I'll just go with 3 hours.

Sucked, just as it was coming out of the last filter(the water was nice and orange) one of the lines literally popped off spraying almost everything in the kitchen with a nice coat of yellow/orange. At least my kiddo was smart enough to hide behind me...

that sucks turn the flush valve and it will run water over the ro filter not through it and will wash off the filter. sorry but this prob just a little late

Hehe, it's OK. Was funny to my son.

Well, I let it run last night for about 3 hours and shut off water to it(the leak was really getting bad). This morning I got a new O ring, the one with the kit had been pinched pretty bad.

So no more leaks. I let it run for another 30 minutes..tasted the water and it tastes pretty awful, lol. So I guess I need to let it run longer...or is the water now going to be safe enough for my fish but not safe enough to drink?

So that's almost 15 gallons run through it.

did you turn the flush valve the water out of mine has not taste to it. i would flush it. for a bit there may be something still on the membrane

Mine doesn't have a flush valve. What exactly does it do? Maybe I can manually reroute something to get the same effect.

no i dont think there is anything you can do then i know you can buy one from purewater but other than that i don know how to do it

Reading through the manual now. It came with an extra piece of tubing with a 90 angle on it, reading to see what that's for now.

Well, that little extra piece of pipe is for a pressure tank which I'm not going to use just yet. They say you can disconnect the waste line and plug it in to the exit of the first 3 filters and let it run for about 10 minutes. I shoulda done that but its too late now :*( Already have it running. I'm only going to make 5-10 gallons a week anyway so it's not like I'm going to run the filters down that fast.

Thanks James for the tips.

I don't have that : / I bought the cheapest system they had, lol.

you can always hook one up later if you want.

here is my story when i was hooking up my ro to th tank for the ato. i had the ro up an running for a couple days then i decided i was just going to get it all done so i got all the tubing ran then turned off the water to the ro but i forgot one thing and i figured that out when i cut the line to splice in the line to the tank. i forgot to turn the valve to the pressure tank. i was covered in water the kitchen was covered in water it shot out a couple gallons it seemed like in no time at all

Lol, it's really easy to forget how much pressure is in those little lines. I know I was totally surprised at the amount of water that came out of there in such a short time.

i want to increase the pressure in mine just a bit i think it is a little low since it has to run water about 50 feet under the house and back up to the tank it works but it is a bit slow

That'd be the way to go. Unfortunately, I'm having to keep my system under the kitchen sink and am going to have to fill up jugs to take back and forth to my tank. It's still a WHOLE lot better than having to go down the street.

i ran a line to the basement it my garbage can so i can store lots of water. i cnahge about 20-30 gallons every week. but i have not done it in the last month because i am not supost to pick up anything over 20lbs right now but soon i will be cleared to do so i can start changeing my water again

Surgery or back problems? I had to have surgery in March and that 6-8 week period you can't lift anything is hell. Hell, I had trouble even driving a car for a little over 2 months. : /

Back