RO/DI means no more Carbon and Phosphate Remover, Right?

BigFishy

Reefing newb
Now that I have a RO/DI unit and doing 5 gallon water changes with good water per-day, do I still need to run

1. Carbon
2. Phosphate/Silicate Remover

I was planning on running both once a month for five days just to be safe.

Note: Tank size is 70 gallons with a 20 gallon sump
Thanks!

Actually that is wrong.

People still use carbon and phosphate remover even though they use RO/DI water.Fish still poop and fishfood still can add to phosphate levels.I still run carbon two days a month to keep the tank smelling fresh.Consider a refugium with macro-algae or algae scrubber if you are looking to reduce phosphate and nitrates naturally.

depends on many things? bio load, inhabitants, efficiency of skimmer, how much and what kind of food is fed, types of corals kept.Thats a lot of water changes and somehow I think 130% a month is overkill and may do more harm than good

I plan on doing 10% per week once I get all the tap water out of my tank. I just got my RO/DI unit yesterday. I'd like to do one big water change, but I live in an apartment and don't have access to store 50 gallons of water. Maybe I could use my tub ... joking

Carbon I'll keep running 1 week (maybe 5 days) per month

As for phosphate/silicate remover ... I have macro-algae already in my sump. So, I'll run phosphate/silicate remover the same time I run carbon ... One week a month.

Sound good?

If you do, do a large water change, it's extremely important that all of your water parameters match when you so it ie. salinity, temp, and pH.

Back