RO/DI purchase help

igadget56

Reefing newb
Tank 125 gallon, 200 pounds live rock, 2 inches of sand.
Three months old.
2 damsels, 2 clowns, 1 red fire Angel,1 brittle star.
2 Anemones.
No sump Yet
coralife 125g skimmer
calcium 400
phosphates .025
kh 8
ph 8.4
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 20 ppm
250 Watts k10000 actinic.

I am going to invest in a RO/DI system. I don't have a clue
on what I'm looking for. I don't want a cheap piece of junk
but I don't need something that has all the bells and whistles.
Something plain and practical of the dollar. This is something
I clipped out of an article I read. Is this something I should
be concerned with and how do I know I have enough water pressure
You’ll need a couple of carbon stages if your water is treated
with chloramines, which are harder to remove than plain chlorine.
Ask your water purveyor about what it uses for disinfection
Let me know what you are using and how it is working out for you
I will investigate all suggestions and they are appreciated

You can actually buy a TDS meter on ebay for cheap, like $15, so you dont need one that is in line. Just be sure you get the calibration fluid ($3).

I went here and they have awesome service to the max. Plus some packages have the TDS and pressure gauge.

RO/DI Systems

By the way my TDS is reading .01 and the guy had me check my incoming and said it was that not the unit.

I had just put in a new DI filter because it was always 0 and in 1 month went to the .01 but he said sometime the incoming can change and do that. It is about 6-8 before the DI.

He said it is still fine for the tank though because I was freaking out haha.

Last edited:
Sorry to go off topic, but why do you have 2 anemones in a tank that is only 3 months old?

Not trying to say it is ok to have them in the tank but I had 2 Anemones in my tank that I was sent from TBS only 3 weeks into my cycle and they are still fine and dandy.

I also think my tank cycled in 2 weeks because I found I had 2 bum test kits which left me fishless way longer than I had to wait. I also met Richard at his house and had no delivery time for my live rock as it was in bags of water and into the tank. That may be why my Anemones were fine.

I was doing a water change and somehow the anemone got sucked into my pump and it got a trim but it doing great. It actually looks refreshed having the twisted ends of its tentacles trimmed up.

No I was not happy I was feeling like a doosh and worried because he is my champion shrimp and squid eater but he attached himself to a rock I got with my new set of mushrooms and I was moving it lower and lower in the tank because they were under MH and I have T5 so they wouldn't open at the bottom at first so anyway he attached himself to the rock so that is why I didn't realize it moved.

So now the shrooms are at the bottom and he is working his way back near the top.

I may have just been lucky but my Anemones are great.

Phastroh just to set a record straight, non typical experiences are best left out of an advice section. While nemes can survive through a cycle or other tank problems it is in bad taste to try and justify when someone does something that might not be good for thei tank. The reason we offer the advice is so they can be aware of problems it could cause, not the opposite where we hope they get a rare experience that sets up bad practices for the future.

I would also vote filter direct good systems great prices. I would also say +1 Little get you a tds meter offline for cheaper.

I believe I made it clear in the very beginning of my post that I was not saying it was ok, I was merely giving them hope that it may be ok.

I didn't think anything I said was wrong and if you do that is fine but please refrain from making a post about it because that is in bad taste as well. Use the PM system.

Have a nice day.

I will type a response once. Not just for your own safety but for the safety of any member, visitor, and lurker to ever come here and for those who have yet to visit. I CORRECTED you not to crush his hopes that the nemes would somehow make it through, but to create GOOD posting habits of useful information, something I dont see much from you.

I'd also like to say that if someone here has corrected you AND has seniority over you, it is probably not a good idea to come back with a 17 yo punk ass response trying to have a bigger cock.

Also this isnt through a PM because I want most of the people who see this to understand how to post and should post concerning information - and that is in good taste.

I will type a response once. Not just for your own safety but for the safety of any member, visitor, and lurker to ever come here and for those who have yet to visit. I CORRECTED you not to crush his hopes that the nemes would somehow make it through, but to create GOOD posting habits of useful information, something I dont see much from you.

I'd also like to say that if someone here has corrected you AND has seniority over you, it is probably not a good idea to come back with a 17 yo punk ass response trying to have a bigger cock.

Also this isnt through a PM because I want most of the people who see this to understand how to post and should post concerning information - and that is in good taste.

Who do you think you are? You don't have seniority or anything over me so stop smoking your algae sheets and come back to reality. This is a forum and you are nothing more than a poster on it.

Nothing I said was nasty, rude or punkass so stop trying to play internet tough guy because it doesn't work with me.

I can't see where anything I said was or is a smartass remark so stop posting about it and wake up and see you are over reacting big time as you are getting way out of line over nothing.

Again nothing I said was encouraging the addition of an Anemone but I guess your ego is way too big and you just have to post nasty replies while typing as hard as you can announcing your so called seniority hahhahaahaa what a loser.

I guess saying that I was lucky and talking about why it is not a good idea was so much harder to do then start an argument you can't win with someone who just like you, always has a reply.

I am sure you won't be able to resist posting a reply about how I am a punk ass or whatever common reply you can post so bring it on hahaha.

It didn't seem at all like you were attempting to say you were lucky, it came across a lot more like " Don't listen to these guys, I did it, you'll be fine"

At least you know that you were lucky, most people that attempt to keeps nems aren't that fortunate. THAT is what a forum is about, teaching the best practice nkt the look how lucky I got way.

It didn't seem at all like you were attempting to say you were lucky, it came across a lot more like " Don't listen to these guys, I did it, you'll be fine"

At least you know that you were lucky, most people that attempt to keeps nems aren't that fortunate. THAT is what a forum is about, teaching the best practice nkt the look how lucky I got way.

"Not trying to say it is ok to have them in the tank but I had 2 Anemones in my tank that I was sent from TBS only 3 weeks into my cycle and they are still fine and dandy.

I also think my tank cycled in 2 weeks because I found I had 2 bum test kits which left me fishless way longer than I had to wait. I also met Richard at his house and had no delivery time for my live rock as it was in bags of water and into the tank. That may be why my Anemones were fine."

I reposted this so you can read it again.

I didn't say don't listen to these people. Seriously you have to be kidding me because if that is what you got out of this then I am at a loss how you function. I know you are supposed to have a mature tank but I never said anything against that. Again I was just telling them mine were ok not that it is ok to do it. Geesh get a grip pal.

I CLEARLY said nothing about not listening, I said I must have been lucky.

I also got my advice of putting them in from the guy at TBS and not only did I "GET LUCKY" but many other people who put their Anemones in the tank that early who got their stuff from TBS must have gotten "LUCKY" as well.

Again, you see what you see in my post so stop acting like we all see it the same way. I am sure by now the OP gets your point so why don't you stop making the OPs thread into a place to argue with me over what has nothing to do with the OPs question.

This is about an RO/DI purchase, not you trying to tell me off for your opinion on my post.

Why didn't you tell him that he doesn't have enough light either because he doesn't really so I hope he feeds them as well. I had to until I got better lighting. I got that advice from Aquaticlife when I was talking to them.

Wait...do you approve of this advice or do they also not know anything? Seems to have helped out in my opinion. I actually got that advice from them and from 2 LFS because my lights were to weak until I upgraded.

Last edited:
Look at you bringing up valid points as far as lighting goes. Kudos to you! Thats the sort of advice you should be giving.

That is because I know the right way and still stand behind the fact I was not saying it was ok to put the Anemones in.

Don't you think my replies would be more like

"You can put them Anemones in. Mine were ok so just don't worry about it, people around here worry too much. You may get lucky like me and they will be fine"

Compare that to what I really said and you should see why I got mad at being accused of saying it was ok. Sometimes things are interpreted differently by different people so that is usually why people argue like this.

It is nonsense.

Seniority being I have been here longer, and given more to the site, punk ass as in stating that it was in "bad taste" to comment on how i thought your comment would be misleading to readers and other users. Nowhere in my first post did I say anything regarding the stupidity of your comment. I simply said in other words to watch how you post and stated that people should be aware of how to handle nemes. You took it a step further, instead of looking at it as constructive criticism you took it as an attack.

Well that is the internet for you.

The absence of inflection is 99% of why arguments occur on-line. I would imagine the OP gets your point as the right way to do it by now.

Back