RO/DI waste water. OK for animals?

Awol

Reefing newb
Just curious - Anyone give their cat or dog the higher TDS waste water from the RO/DI unit? Looking for more ways to re-use this type of water. Laundry and garden have been good suggestions thus far. Water rates in my town have risen 60% over the last 3 years due to a water treatment plant being installed. The water is great, but it is -pricey!-

Just wondering if anyone knows. I assume it won't be too harmful. I give them tap water already, and I know my stuff out of tap has less TDS than say a well system would probably have. Heck, I've had dogs over the years that loved water from mud puddles!

Just a random thought I had at work today.

Way to think green :) I never thought to use it elsewhere. I guess I could be less wasteful and run a longer airline from the rodi out the window to my garden. Except for it being more potent, I wouldn't think it would be bad. AH Maybe I can use it to wash my car!! LOL

I know a couple people that keep a rubbermaid trash container and fill it with the RO waste water...... then use that for laundry and cleaning and such.... I don't see a problem using it for the water dishes for the pets either.... or washing the car...... or or or.... I'm sure there are a lot of things to use it for.....

i bet washing a car with it would work well it takes everything out so probly will not leave any water spots:mrgreen:

Actually, Arm & Hammer or Mr Clean or whatever had that 'car rinsing' attachment for your hose a little while back. It was just RO water. Same thing for the 'spot free rinse' at a car wash. Just filtered water.

I'm talking about using the waste water which has higher TDS levels though, so rinsing the car probably would result in more water spots. :) Good overall ideas though!

Just curious, would you drink it?

If not, I wouldn't give it to your pets. They don't consume that much water to make a difference, and be worth it. JMO.

RO waste water contains an extreme amount of excess minerals which I doubt is healthy for human or pet consumption. You pets are probably better off drinking from the toilet.

Last edited:
I'm thinking I'll give it a TDS read and see what it looks like. I grew up on well water, so I doubt even 100% more concentrated city water would phase me...

Back