RO/DI water

Leslee

Reef enthusiast
Ok, sorry if this is a question someone else has asked, but I tried to look for something about it and its not my exact question.

I live in an apt and a RO/DI filter system is just not possible right now. It will be when I buy a house, but that is still a little down the road.

My LFS told me that water at the grocery store that is spring water would be ok to use and similar to RO/DI water. (I am pretty sure she said spring water, I think she said as long as it is spring and not mineral, maybe she said the other way around.) How true do you believe this to be? My LFS that I trust is 45 min away and I don't really have the time to be there once a week getting water. Working 2 jobs and going to grad school takes a lot of time.

I figured I would consult the experts on here before buying tons of water I shouldn't use!!

Thank you!!!

i was under the same impression and when i got to testing and such it seemed that the water was fairly hard water...dunno if this is what it was supposed to be but...

You can get RODI water from grocery stores and Walmart. Instead of using spring or mineral, go for distilled. It should say that it was prepared by reverse osmosis on the label.

i believe she meant distilled water. i think i read that distilled is ok, not sure about that. some walmarts sell rodi water. have you tried that?

Thank you so much guys! She probably told me distilled but I forgot or got what she told me not to use confused! I will be heading to Walmart tomorrow! That saves me tons of time!

It's not that hard to hook up an RO/DI unit in an apartment. I went to the big box hardware store and bought a few plumbing fittings. I can disconnect my RO unit and take it out from under the sink in about 15 minutes when I move. The manager will never know it was down there.

You can also get a "portable" unit that you can hook up to the water facet when you want to use it and then just unhook it when you're done and stick it in the closet.

Back