(ro refills) does anyone else think this way

Alexander

Reef enthusiast
So I'm at the store tonight with my cart full of buckets.

IMG00046.jpg

And I'm thinking to myself, does everyone look at me at the store and think "wtf is this guy doing pushing around a cart full of buckets" haha I figure as an outsider it probably looks pretty strange.

Just wait untill some lil ole lady asks why your buying that much water,and you see the look on her face when you say "Its for my reef tank":D

yup expect i go to water store so everone shows up with containers. But the sad part is that this much water doesnt lastlong and then i gotta do it all over again.

Especially a bunch of buckets of salt...

I've gotten weird looks before when I've gone into the hardware store and asked about "strong lighting" for my "reef tank" that I run "indoors". I know they're thinking, "Yeah right lady..."

Especially a bunch of buckets of salt...

I've gotten weird looks before when I've gone into the hardware store and asked about "strong lighting" for my "reef tank" that I run "indoors". I know they're thinking, "Yeah right lady..."

LOL reef discrimination

Haha I know I had a guy that worked there tonight stop me and was all... So what are you doing with all that water? I was like they are for my saltwater fish tanks. And he was all do you have any sharks? And for a second I was about to explain what type of tank you need for a shark, even a bamboo shark, then decided it wasn't worth my time to sound like a total nerd and went on with my water filling.

Man I have to congrat's those who bucket water for there reef tanks!! I'm a VERY VERY VERY lazy person. When I first looked into this hobby and found I needed "special" water the first question I asked was: "Any way I can make this water at home??" When they said yea, buy an RO/Di unit. I asked where do I get one of these things?? I'm so lazy I only buy IO salt cause I can get it in a 200 gallon mix. It comes in a box with 4 bags, so I figured it up, If I dump one bag into my 55 gallon drum with 45 gallons of RO/DI water it comes out at 1.026 which is where I keep it in the tank. Oh and that's all plumbed to the tank so I just open a ball valve and fill a 55g drum that's outside to the 40g mark, then open another ball valve that empty's the salt water into the sump, then open yet another ball valve from the RO/DI 55g drum to the salt 55g drum and........Water change done. I never top off either, the ATO does that out of the 55g RO/DI drum for me.

I thought I was smart when I bought my skimmer. It has a drain valve on it.......Yea hence my SN.....I thought Ooooo, I'll never have to clean it!! WRONG. Douh, you still have to remove the collection cup and clean it and the neck.

I have an r/o unit, however I am in the process of trying to buy a house and I will not set it all up till it get my own place.

As far as the skimmer, buy a deltec they have an optional self cleaning head you can purchase. They are really expensive but AMAZING. You only have to clean the skimmer cleaner about twice a month. Problem for your skimmer cleaning solved.

Yea I seen those. I don't mind cleaning the skimmer I guess. It gives my 6 year old son something to do with Dad. That and my wife knows way to much about the hobby now, and I couldn't pull the " I need a different skimmer thing" again for the fourth time.

Alex, I just got a faucet adapter and hook it right up to my sink and fill my buckets. I used to carry the RO/DI over to the sink, but now I just have it sitting under the sink ready for when I want to hook it up.

Back