RO System

There are 300 and 400 gpd units (about 12 to 17 gallons per hour) but they are expensive. Making water is slow, but that's just part of the hobby. :( When I make water, I turn it on, set my timer to go off when it's done, and go off and do something else for a while.

Yeah, i have the same problem. Mine has the same specs and it is a pain in the A$$ trying to do wc on my 92. I'm going to have a friend of mine set it up like Biffer's

I have to stockpile water. I have 5 gallon buckets I fill and mix prior to the wc, but it takes awhile :(. And if I ever need water on the fly I just have to buy it. Luckily, a lfs in my area sells it for $1/gallon!

Yes, days. The water needs to sit with a powerhead and just mix for AT LEAST 24-48 hours before putting it in your tank. Emergencies are exceptions, but most people here (and here I go assuming again) probably keep a few (depending on tank size) gallons of water mixed for that.

Top off water is different, that can be made up daily or you can also store that in bottles or buckets, too.

None told me about it, i am just mixing and waiting it to be clear (about 15 minutes) with shaking it in a bottle, then it goes straight to my tanks.

What is the reason it should "sit" for couple of days?

So the salt and minerals can properly dissolve. Yes, when it's clear it's mixed in pretty good, but it isn't actually dissolved as good as it should be. It won't hurt anything 9/10 times, but if it's in really large amounts then it can be harmful. Letting it set also makes sure the salinity is equal throughout the whole bucket where when it's just mixed and put in then it can vary slightly.

If you test the salinity after it's mixed for 15 minutes vs. the salinity after it's been mixed for 24 hours, I guarantee you will see a difference. :)

I'm checking the salinity 3 times. Once after 15 minutes, second time after mixing it in the tank, and the last time is right before i am doing the next WC.

I don't know why but i am getting the same result in all of the tests.

But if you saying it should be mixed and sit for 24hours i will do it. If it's better for my fish it's better for me. :D

Back