RO unit you recommend?

VAreef

Reefing newb
OK I gotta stop trucking distilled water from walmart. They are starting to look at me funny.

I need an RO unit that I can put a solenoid valve on later to auto fill a reserve tank. I also want one that has good life for it's membranes and filters etc.

What do you guys recommend for an RO unit? And from what company? Currently I am estimating a top off water requirement of 10 gal per week plus another 20 gal max on water change outs. I do plan on adding a second tank with sump later down the road so those numbers could triple.

I can recommend anything from The Filter Guys
I have the Ocean Reef +1 5 Stage.

Their customer service is outstanding and their products are high quality.
I've also been buying their 1/4" tubing because their prices are better than anywhere else I can find. They are also quick to ship.

Thanks guys. I think I am leaning towards that one from the e-bay store. Very thorough explanation on the product and seems to be a good price.

I also got mine from P U R E W A T E R C L U B. Mine was $100 including shipping, and I've had it for 4+ years now. Never had a problem with it.

People that have ordered from them recently have experienced some problems though, so do so at your own risk!

JMO, but stay away from PWC systems. Read the couple posts out there about their product horror storries. They are very recent buys and not worth the money. I am on of those people who got a junk unit and soaking we drywall. Their customer service is absolutely terrible....also its only via email. NO PHONE CALLS WHAT SOEVER! I just bought a new unit from filter direct. PWC is a very cheap unit, cheaply put together with cheap parts that leak. It also can't mount flush against the wall due to how they have their tubing and valves placed. You have to install some type of backer board to keep it away from the wall and then install the unit on the backer board to allow clearance for the tubing and valves.

I have to agree that purewaterclub:frustrat: isjunk(:pooh:) DO NOT BUY FROM THEM I bought a 6 stage system from them about a yr ago and it leaked from the moment I bought it two of the filter media cylinders were cracked when recieved. The company put extra teflon tape on these cracked areas to try to cover the leak instead of replacing it before shipping. Tried to get it fixed on there part with no luck. Recently I even tried to email the company to get filters and housings and they never even emailed me back. Due to this post I just put in my order with Filter Direct today so I guess I will see. Hopefully this solves my filter headaches.

Well you did the right thing kmart. The filter direct unit will be great for you. You'll be amazed in the difference in quality and detailed instructions.

I'm sorry you made the same mistake as me. The only reason I got resolution from PWC is because I make a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and sent them about 50 emails. I even sent them emails with links to posts on the forum that complain about their products and how they are loosing business. The sent em a new unit and even tested it for leaks prior to shipping it to me. I didn't use that unit since I already had the Filter Direct unit installed.

Well you did the right thing kmart. The filter direct unit will be great for you. You'll be amazed in the difference in quality and detailed instructions.

I'm sorry you made the same mistake as me. The only reason I got resolution from PWC is because I make a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and sent them about 50 emails. I even sent them emails with links to posts on the forum that complain about their products and how they are loosing business. The sent em a new unit and even tested it for leaks prior to shipping it to me. I didn't use that unit since I already had the Filter Direct unit installed.

sounds like more of a headache than it is worth I hope they go out of business very poorly run company

Ah you are definitly smarter than the average bear. If they think you can hurt them they will try to make you happy. Thanks to the forums here I am extremely happy with my 100gpd 6stage Filter Direct model. When I go to build my ATO and such I will buy my parts from them as they are a quality company.

After all the bad reviews I changed my order to a filter direct one it's only a few bucks more and seems better quality. I also like the idea of 2 o rings instead of one.

Some things to look for in a good system for this hobby:
Standard-sized prefilters, membrane, and DI cartridge
Brand name, high-rejection membrane
Specifications provided for each stage
Pressure gauge after the prefilters and before the membrane
Thermometer
DI bypass
Vertical DI stage
Refillable DI cartridge
Aluminum bracket
Quick connect fittings
Flush valve