RO Waste Water

drm180

Reefing newb
Hi. I just started using my RODI unit that I got from purewaterclub.com. I was wondering how much waste water you should normally get with one gallon of pure water. There was a ton of waste water when I used it and it didn't seem to be very bad at all. I will find out the exact ratio tomorrow. I won't be able to get away with using that much water if that's how it's going to be all the time.

Your standard RO unit (of any brand) will produce 4 to 5 gallons of waste water for every 1 gallon of RODI water it produces. You can buy more expensive units that are more efficient, and they will be identified as such.

What a lot of people do is save their waste water for using in the garden or doing laundry. A lot of people have the line directly connected to the washer. That way the water doesn't get wasted.

What a lot of people do is save their waste water for using in the garden or doing laundry. A lot of people have the line directly connected to the washer. That way the water doesn't get wasted.
Umm how does that work. So you only make water for your tank when you do laundry? Hey kids go play in the mud I need top off water..........There has to be a better way to get pure water.

I have a some what related question. I was thinking of getting a soft water system for the house. We have hard water and I am getting sick of havering to de-lime everything. Would the softwater system make a ro unit more efficient? Or possible make it where the filters in the ro wouldnt have to be changed as much?

I was just looking at a few whole house systems on the net. Umm anyone got 10k i can have? Ok maybe not that much but dang. The water in San Antonio is so hard that out of the tap water you can see stuff floating in it. I have used faucet mounted filters for drinking water for years. Just couldnt see drinking stuff. The reason I brought this up is I have to replace the guts in one of the toilets again. Just did this one maybe three years ago. Have to replace all of it, the stand pipe has a 2 inch ring around the top of lime scale. Not to mention the fact that I replaced my hot water heater again. Two in less then 10 years. since I am using ro water for my tank (getting at the lfs) I was thinking of killing two birds with one stone. Getting a softener for the house with a ro unit for drinking and tank water. However the ro units on these home house system only produce 25 gallons a day and there is no way to utilize the waste water. Guess I could just go to home depot and get a softener and then a better ro unit from somewhere else, So if I use the waste water on my washing machine do I put a value or something so I can use normal water when I am not making pure water or what?

im looking at a total home system myself. waste water levels are a real concern due to the fact i use a water cistern. theres got to be a way to collect and hold waste water to run back through the house for other needs if i should only get a local ro/di unit as compaired to a full home system...hmmm what to do what to do

Back