RO water smells/taste funny

Neno reefs

Reefing newb
I replaced the filters and the membrain last week and ever since it smells/taste a bit strange kind of like sewage?? The TDS is at 11 right now. Any idea why it would be like this? Because i need to do a water change.

I don't use rodi water but I remember reading that you have to run a few gallons through it after you replace the membrane

The whole reason mine started to smell was due to the membrane. Changed that. Flushed it through full power, and cleaned the membrane housing. Then I put the membrane in. Seemed to work for me. But my housing, was pretty nasty dirty, we draw water directly from a lake, so thats probably why.

Some vendors recommend sterilizing the RO system in between membrane changes.
Your system might have bacteria/mold buildup inside the housing and could be causing the unwanted odor/taste.

If your city water uses Chloramine for water sterilization instead of Free Chlorine then you will get Ammonia through the RO. The ammonia will make the water smell like hell. Regular RO/DI units are not designed to remove the "amine" part. Check with your water department and if they use Chloramine you will need to run Catalytic Carbon.

Back