RO water source

zuatrapatuarte

Reefing newb
Hello everyone.

I'm new to salwater systems and about to start my first saltwater tank.
My question is about ro water wich I did not know I needed until a few days ago.

I'm not quite ready to buy an ro unit just yet, can I used water from vending machines?
I know I have read on them that they produce ro filter water, my aquarium is a 29 gal and for water changes I will be just using around 6 gallons per water change.

Other than that source, where else can I get ro water?

Hello, and welcome to Living Reefs. And welcome to the reef keeping lifestyle :)

Like Ted said, you can buy RODI water from most fish stores at a reasonable price.
Some will even sell pre-mixed saltwater.
In a pinch, distilled water works too.

The only issue is hauling all that water on a regular basis. But you will eventually get a schedule worked out to make efficient trips to the fish store.
HINT: The less trips to get water, the less you will end up impulse buying stuff you see at the store. :)
Buy a bunch of 5 gallon containers and use a large vehicle to haul them all at once. Bigger containers will be a pain to carry.

Do be careful about vending machines for drinking water. They usually produce RO water (Reverse Osmosis) only. While this is cleaner water than tap water, it is still not completely stripped of all potential substances that can be toxic to marine creatures.

It is best to use RODI (Reverse Osmosis - DeIonized) water. This goes the extra step of passing the RO water through a resin that binds all the remaining substances from the water, making it as close to pure as possible.

Remember:
RO = for drinking water / not quite good enough for marine aquariums.
RODI = good for marine aquariums / debatable whether it is safe for extended human consumption.

RO from a vending machine is still much better than using tap water. :) If that is your best option until you can buy your own RODI unit, then go with that. But as others have said, you can also buy good water from fish stores, grocery stores or Walmart.

I have the same size tank as you. I went through 10 gallons of water a week. 5 for a water change and 5 for top off of evaporation. So it cost me 5 bucks a week just in water. Plus the driving to the LFS so call it 6 bucks total. I finally got sick of it and purchased an RODI unit for about 180 bucks after all the connection fittings I had to get to make it work with my plumbing and a 14 gallon rubber maid with a shut off. So after 30 weeks or about 7 months, it paid for itself. It took about a year for it before I needed to replace the filters which cost about 50 bucks. So even on small tanks, it is a money saver. It is just a bigger investment up front.

However, like other said, the dispensers at the grocery store will be better than your tap water.

Thanks for all the info, I think I will end up going to my local fish store.

I almost have everything to start the cycling. I will post another thread with pics when the time comes, also I made an aquarium stand with wine crates/ends that I would like to share with everybody.

Thanks a lot for the info!

I have the same size tank as you. I went through 10 gallons of water a week. 5 for a water change and 5 for top off of evaporation. So it cost me 5 bucks a week just in water. Plus the driving to the LFS so call it 6 bucks total. I finally got sick of it and purchased an RODI unit for about 180 bucks after all the connection fittings I had to get to make it work with my plumbing and a 14 gallon rubber maid with a shut off. So after 30 weeks or about 7 months, it paid for itself. It took about a year for it before I needed to replace the filters which cost about 50 bucks. So even on small tanks, it is a money saver. It is just a bigger investment up front.

However, like other said, the dispensers at the grocery store will be better than your tap water.

That really adds up wow! but I guess it will be ok for a month or two...

Well, now that I'm really visualizing having a rodi unit I don't think I can a 14 gallon container under the sink because other than that I don't have any other place inside the house to store it thats near a water source, but what about setting up the unit on faucet outside the house on a shaded area?

I think some one else from California set up their holding tank inside a small gardening box. Since you don't have to worry about freezing, it should be fine.

You can also just have a couple empty five gallon buckets and make water when needed. You don't need a storage container, it is just so much more convenient.

The one thing I did like about buying the water, was the weekly trip to the LFS :mrgreen:

Since I am renting a house, I did not want to mess with the plumbing or drill screws under the sink cabinet.

This is what I did with my RODI kit. It is installed on a plastic shelving unit and sits in the backyard near the garden hose faucet.
The bottom shelf doubles as a storage area for all the spare parts.

DSC_0011-6.jpg

I also use a plastic tarp to cover the kit when I'm not using it to protect it from the sun. Sun exposure might lead to algae growth in the pre-filter canisters.
Wrapping the canister bodies with black garbage bags also work.

If you want it to be more portable, you could do it this way:
IMG_0246.jpg

This is how I had the RODI kit before I attached it to the plastic shelving unit.
In this picture, both RODI and waste water are going to a plastic tub because the filters are brand new and I was giving the filter a break-in period.

Plus, when you get your own RODI it is an easy step to have Automatic-Top-Off water into your tank, sump, or RO water storage unit. It is wise to store your own RODI water so you don't Short-Cycle your RODI membrane... meaning the first few seconds of each turn-on aren't so wonderful. So by having it turn on for longer periods into a storage device you have far fewer "first few seconds" of turn-on. Then fill your evaporation level changes from it by hand or with an ATO device. :)

Since I am renting a house, I did not want to mess with the plumbing or drill screws under the sink cabinet.

This is what I did with my RODI kit. It is installed on a plastic shelving unit and sits in the backyard near the garden hose faucet.
The bottom shelf doubles as a storage area for all the spare parts.

DSC_0011-6.jpg

Nice job!!

So I went to petco today and they have 5 gal already mix saltwater for $11.00, no where to be seem the 50 cents per gallon, I will try walmart tomorrow.

Mostly only mom and pop fish stores will have RO water for 50 cents and salt for 1 dollar. The wal-mart should sell it out of a dispenser that will be RO water. Then you will need to mix your own salt water.

So I went to petco today and they have 5 gal already mix saltwater for $11.00, no where to be seem the 50 cents per gallon, I will try walmart tomorrow.

You probably saw the fancy brand prepackaged saltwater that cost PETCO more to ship from the origin to the store than the actual worth of the water.
Do not buy those from biog box stores.

Try a local fish store that makes their own saltwater.

Ya local store is best, if its a clean shop. I have used distilled water from Walmart I think its around 90 cents a gallon and just mixed my own salt.

Back