RO water

I get mine from wal-mart.They sale it for 33 cents a gallon.Or you can get destilles for 67 cents a gallon.

What is your RO unit rated at? Most are supposed to put out 100 or so gallons per day. If yours is only putting out 20, then like Yote suggested, your water pressure may not be enough to run it without buying an additional pump.

Grocery stores and Walmart both sell RODI water, either bottled or from a machine where you can fill your own containers.

I get mine from a water store for $1 for every 5 gal. As biff suggested, you could also get it from a water vending machine.

I am lucky in that I get free RO water from the LFS three blocks from my house

-Doc

Servicing the employees again,eh Doc!...ouch?!?

Thats part of the reason I buy my water.Unless you buy an RO unit that does over 100gpd than its a loooong drawn out process.

what are some names of water companies/stories I could look up to see if I have one in my area? I pay about .45c per gallon (it only says RO) at Whole Foods Market and my LFS (RO/DI) for .99 per gallon. I'd like to get a RO/DI like the one Biff got on ebay, but I am living in a rented townhouse and dunno if I could set it up without ruining the plumbing.

My unit is rated for 50g a day but I'm not getting half that.

Doc....you need to teach me some good techniques so I can get the deals and free water you get. J/K

I doubt someone is thinking about a glass of refreshing RO water during an earthquake...

Look Ryan, west side just rules aight?!!!:mrgreen:

Is your RO unit piped into the cold water line?

If it is, get a 5 gallon bucket and about 25 feet of tubing. Coil the tubing in the bucket, fill it with tap water, and throw a small heater in there. RO/DI filters are much more efficient if they are processing warm water.

The water pressure and water temperature are both major issues with RO filters. The RO membranes and the bypass valves, which create the back pressure with pushes the water through the membrane require 50 psi of water pressure and 50 degree C water or higher to get the rated value of output. A water pump and electric solenoid for auto shutoff of pump would cost $125 to $150 or a little more depending on where it was purchased. If you checked the amount of water coming out of the RO drain you would probably find your putting out over 7 to 10 gallons of waste water for every gallon of RO water produced. That is 2 to 3 times what it is supposed to be. Heating the water up as suggested would help your output, but your RO water would still be made at a higher cost than buying it. I live in Alaska where the water runs at 34 to 36 degrees all year round and where the water pressure is 25 psi. I have over $750 in my RODI water system. It only pays due to my using a lot of water, RO water is 50 cents a gallon hear, and it is convenient having it on tap. The other choice is to use a permeate pump, which cuts way back on waste water, but you still will not get the rated flow out of your unit. It also costs around $100.

Yeah because deserts, earthquakes, mudslides, and raging wildfires are the best ever!

Out west,when they get a mudslide,they call the rescue squad.Here in the east,we get a jacked up truck with a set of buckshot mudders and go play in it.:mrgreen:

Back