Roberts Upgrade!!! 45 to 150 Thread

roberttroy81

Ocean Fanatic
OK!!!Today i finally cleaned the 150 and checked for leaks.I only filled it to the half way point with water to check.But it was all good.I dont like the seams along the tank so im going to redo them.Heres the tank befor the cleaning.
Picture413.jpg

After the cleaning.I scraped all the paint off.Im redoing it with black.
Tankcleaning001.jpg

The seams i dont like
Tankcleaning004.jpg

Tankcleaning006.jpg

Any suggestion on how to re silicone the seams again?I also have a little more cleaning to do on that really dirty tank.It was filthy.:frustrat:

I have no clue on how to re-silicone the tank but it sure looks 100x better than it did.

If you buy aquarium silicone it will have full directions on it.I have some and it says to fully scrape off the old silicone with a razor blade and dry on cool setting of a hair dryer.Then use rubbing alcohol to thoroughly clean the area before applying the silicone.

Last edited:
looks great. I know my LFS carries tubes to re-silicone. there are directions inside the packaging

-Doc

congrats on the new tank robert. excellent choice to paint it black! did you get a stand?

as said before you need to make sure you get all the silicone off first. i had to re silicone part of my 180 after it was all full with water and sand, it sucked but everything came out good

What type of paint should i use for the back?Will any spraypaint work?Also i ordered my lights today.
72" 1134W Metal Halide Aquarium Reef Light w/ FREE Ship - (eBay item 130183751658 end time Dec-16-07 19:24:24 PST)

I got a 20 gallon tank today also.I wasnt sure if 20 was big enough,but all the 150 gallon sump kits i seen was only a 20 gallon.I will be making my sump tomorrow.I only need my overflow box and return pump for my sump.

I also found a cheap $89.00 iron stand at my LFS.I might just use that instead of building one.

I have redone one two tanks before and they turned out good. All you do is cut out the bad seam clean with vinegar or alchole and silicone a bead then run your finger down it and use a razor to get a nice straight line afterwards.

Update!!I built my sump tank today.:D:D:DIts moving faster then i thought.
Picture179.jpg

Picture182.jpg

Tomorrow ill be biulding my stand.Then it will go quicker.

Can anyone tell me what size overflow box i need?What size return pump i need.Should i get a dual overflow box and two pumps?I need some assistance in this category.Also what to put in my sump.

800gph-1200gph overflow box.You may not need all 1200gph but thats what I would get.BTW,I recommend a Lifereef overflow box,those have gotten rave reviews for not not losing/slowing siphon.

As for return pump,what size sump is it?

Tank is 150 Biff.The sump is 20 gallon.(I know Small).Oh well to late now.It will work.Also what paint should i use for the back?Will regular spray paint work?

yup. just tape and cover the sides and cover the top of the tank so breeze does not paint the inside of the tank. Good ole' Krylon works just fine

-Doc

Any spray paint will do.I use a Krylon semi-flat paint,it dries quicker than glossy paint and looks the same through glass anyways.

For a 20g sump,I would go with a mag 9.5(950gph).Don't forget some powerheads for added flow.

Update!!!:D:D:D I built my tank stand this weekend.:bounce:Its almost ready to be moved into my living room.I still need to finish the doors and add the trim at the bottom.

Heres the frame
Picture185.jpg

Heres the stand without the doors and bottom trim
Picture186.jpg

My sump fits just perfect
Picture188.jpg

incredible. I have been toying with that idea. great looking stand. I may just use those pics as a model for my own someday.

-Doc

Yep.Its actually pretty easy to build!!I stole the frame plans from this website NEW 100US Gallon DIY tank stand.... - Monster Fish Keepers.Just modified it a bit.It cost around 110.00 for material(not bad).Tomorrow im going to paint the back while the tank is still out side.Day after X-mas i will be moving it into the living with the stand.Im still waiting on my lights to be delivered and still haven't got a overflow box or pump.

Back