Roberts Upgrade!!! 45 to 150 Thread

Picked up a really nice star sun polyp today.
Picture087.jpg

Any suggestions on how to transfer everything from the 45 to the 150?Its almost ready an just trying to be prepared.

I transferred from a 55 to a 120. What I did was had all the saltwater mixed and heated up. Any new sand to be added washed.
As for the move. I took water out of tank and placed in several bins. I placed LR and livestock in these bins. Once every thing was in the bins. I removed the sand put it in the MT. I also put some in the furge. After all the sand was in, including any new. I put in the water from the smaller tank that didn't have livestock in it. Once the MT was about half full I started to add the LR. Once all the rock was in and to my liking I finished filling the tank with water. I let any flying sand settle and then added my livestock. This took a whole day. It's a lot of work. My fish and all my corals made it and never did get a mini cycle.

Alto, you don't need lights for sun corals. They are non-photosynthetic and should be placed in the shade. But because they are non-photosynthetic, each polyp needs to be hand fed (BY YOU!) every day or every other day. So they are extremely time consuming. Freak has a sun coral in his fuge, and he calls it his second wife, since it takes so much work to take care of.

Well i figured i should give everyone a update on the progress of the tank.About 10 days ago i checked the water levels and my Ammonia was at .0 and my Nitrites was at .0.I did a 50% water change and got my Fuge light and ordered my Cheato.Since then my Ammonia has stayed at .0 but my Nitrites went back to 0.3 and has stayed he same for about a week.I checked it today and its back down to .0,i think it went though another mini cycle.Ill be doing another quick water change tomorrow 25% prob.Then it will be ready for my clean up crew.Any suggestions on that would be great ,as i have no idea about the size of a crew i should get.I also wanted to know what type of salt everyone uses and whats the best.I was thinking of ordeing this for now on Red Sea Coral Pro Salt Mix 175gal - Bucket (Saltwater Aquarium Supplies > Salt Mix )

Oh yea i also moved the star polyp into a cave area and have been feeding it every 2-3 days.Ive been feeding it cocktail shrimp,and seems to love it.The only thing i dont like is the other fish seem to steal its food :frustrat:.

Congratulations on the cycle.Now the fun begins.
Let the algae guide you on your clean up crew.Start with 2 or 3 mexican turbos,maybe a couple of trochus snails,something to stir the sand bed up some,ie,conchs,cerith snails,nassarius snails.
As far as salt goes,every body has their favorite.I personally used Oceanic salt up untill a couple of weeks ago.Decided I'd give the Kent Marins salt a try.

Heres betting if you did another 50% water change at one time you would likely have another spike of nitrite. A 50% water change should be reserved for emergency's, not at any other time should water be changed in such large amounts. The chances of your killing life forms with such large water changes are probably 100%. If is very doubtful that the water parameters of your new water matched your old water. When changing large amounts of water things like salinity, temperature, dissolved oxygen and pH are very, very important. The spike was likely caused by life form die off due to rapid water parameter changes.

Well i got my clean up crew last week,and all my water tests are good.
I got
Emerald Crab-1
Nassarius Snails-10
Mexican Turbo snails-2
Red leg hemit-15
blue leg hermit-10
I Also transferd my tank over this weekend :DFinished friday night,and everything is doing great.I even added a frogspawn.
HPIM1394.JPG

Right side of tank
HPIM1390.JPG

Middle of the tank
HPIM1369.JPG

Left of the tank
HPIM1387.JPG

The Frogspawn
HPIM1379.JPG

Couldnt pass that frag up.$14.99 at my LFS.

I also added a Temperature controller today with a RTD unit in the sump.The settings are set so the fans come on at 77.5 and turn off at 77.The heater come on at 76. and turn off at 77.
HPIM1402.JPG

HPIM1386.JPG

I also finished my Fuge/sump.Added the Cheato and the light.
HPIM1393.JPG

Back