Rock - base or live?

madlynb

madtaz
When I rebuilt my sump, I had taken a lot of rock out of my previous DT. It just seemed too cramped. I also removed rubble rock from my previous sump. If I want to use that rock over again in my DT, do I need to prepare it and what process would I do? The rubble rock, removed from my previous sump refuge, kind of the same question except could I also place rubble rock in my DT? I, right now, have a refuge with sand and shells. The chaeto is growing really well and the algae is accumulating on the fuge walls. Would it be any advantage to add some old rubble rock to fuge? When I stored the rock I just allowed them to dry and I have them stored in glass tanks, no water
I'm sorry, you are probably asking what does this have to do with the question "base or live rock? Ha. Since I have stored the old rock, is there any way to recognize if it was live or base? Does it not matter?.:question::mrgreen::bounce:

Last edited:
I would take a stiff bristled brush and clean off anything that is dead on the surface.

It is no longer "live" because it dried out. It will become live again when seeded with the other rock in your tank. It might cause a mini cycle because of anything dead on it will decompose. But if you either let it cure in an empty tank or add it slowly, it should be fine.

When cleaning do I need to do in RODI water? When you say to let it cure in an empty tank, would I put RODI water into the tank? Anything else added to the curing?

You would cure it in SW just like you would cycle a tank. If the tank is new, you can just cycle it in the new tank when that cycles.

The brushing, I would just get anything that is dried up off the surface of the rock. Then rinse it off with some RO water. Just helps prevent it from decopmosing when added to the tank.

Brian

For curing, just need the same salinity and temperature like your main tank. I actually have the temperature a little higher at 82F for the nitrifying bacteria to grow/work faster.

I'm cheap and lazy. I just use the water from the main tank for cleaning and for curing of new rocks.

So, while it is curing in the water do I put any PH's for circulation? How will I know when it is cured and ready to put into DT.
How about my rubble rock? Same cleaning process and curing? Can I add to my DT and/or fuge?

No need to adjust pH. Put in a powerhead for circulation. THe curing process is like a tank cycling. When the Ammonia and Nitrite is zero, they are ready. :)

The rubble rock is still live? If so, you can just put them into the tank. If they are dry, then you'll need the same curing.

yes you can

Put it all in a tank or rubber maid container and maybe a peice of shrimp just to kick off the cycling. You could also add one of you rocks from the DT or a hand full of sand to help seed it

Brian

Do you have a tank already cycled? If so, just wash your sponge or whatever mechanic filter and save up the dirty water. They can kick start your curing big time! You don't even need dead shrimp. :)

Back