Rock Crab

Elmgren

Reefing newb
Found this while i passed by my Reef today. i have a 29g bioreef with a few soft corals and 2 clowns. Is this safe? I am thinking no.

crab1.jpg

and

crab2.jpg

The short answer.
NO
Look at the claws.They look to sharp and serrated for ripping flesh.He's most likely a scavanger but will also catch live prey when it gets a chance.

No,It's a type of xanthid crab.The exact same hitchhiker I had years ago.Never killed a fish but sure did in all my snails.A regular shell graveyard near its den.

Banish him to the toilet.

No,It's a type of xanthid crab.The exact same hitchhiker I had years ago.Never killed a fish but sure did in all my snails.A regular shell graveyard near its den.

Banish him to the toilet.

I agree. I had one, fished him out and fed him to a group of very large Triggers. I have recenlty found a second that will meet the same dinner invite. They have not killed anything in my tank, but will hollow out rock, and eat coraline right off the rocks.

Thanks for the info. Hoping there are no more like that. since this morning I have seen several small snails that will be beneficial, and an appendage sticking out from underneath one of the rocks ... looks like a worm and have left it alone. keeping my eays open for more hitchikers. I did take the crab to the fish store and they feed it to the sharks. had my water checked and all is well wit the tank. ph & calcium were just right and salinity was great.

I have one of those in my tank. Havent been able to get him out yet. First saw him about the size of a dime he is probably about the size of a quarter now. He sure likes to knock things over. But so far hasnt eaten anything live

When I did find what was killing all my snails.That crab was bigger then a silver dollar.It must of been in my system for years and those red eyes scares the crap out of me.

Back